Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What messier objects have you observed

Viking

Perhaps following on from John's thread, it would be interesting to find out what messier objects people have observed using binoculars.

Would have to know the binoculars used, and the objects observed.

Turn Left at Orion does show whether objects can be observed using binoculars.

John

Good one John. Apart from the list I've posted in my thread on my bino history. There's a few other clusters and a galaxy I've spotted... My list is probably

M31, M33, M35, M36, M37, M38, M41, M42, M44, M45, M46 and M47, M50 and M52.

These were seen either with the 10x50, or 15x70's I can't remember which, but I feel a challenge coming on :(

My favourites are in Auriga, M36 M37 and M38.

The Messier's I have REAL trouble with are M51 and M101. I only spotted them once last year in my 15x70's. I think I caught M57, not easy. To see M57,I defocus and then refocus and just sometimes M57 will pop out at me,not quite star like.

I'm afraid my view south is not good from my backyard.

Glen.

From my point of view, its good to see the options/opportunities to hunt messier objects.

My list that was observed using WO 7X50s is quite modest and includes:

M42 and 45 these are easy given that they are naked eye, although the binoculars do give a richer view of the star fields. M42 not that bright when compared to a telescope/images.

M31, for me was just a fuzz ball, couldn't make out much although it did give me the star hopping direction to the nebula.

M15, was similar to M31 - at the other end of Pegasus.

Not much of a list but I might be encouraged to do a bit more using binoculars.

John

Since i bought the 15x70 about 9 months ago i have manged to see m3 m13 m15 m27 m29 m31 m33 m35 m36 m37 m38 m41 m42 m44 m45 m53 m57 m63 m67 m81 m82 m92.

I have only used the 25x100 once on the morning of the 20/0/09 and managed to see m3 m13 m51 m57 m65 m66 m92.

I shall make a real effort next time I'm in France to increase my 10x50 'bag'. I have a lot of time spent lounging around in a garden chair as I'm imaging, and I ought to put it to contrsuctive use (generally I'm watching for meteors)!

As far as galaxies are concerned I can definitely mark down M31, M33 and M81. M101 - I'm not sure about that one, it's quite large and diffuse making it difficult at any power. Trouble is, I know exactly 'where it is' (the two end stars of the Plough are obvious pointers forming a triangle with M101) and it's so easy to convince myself there really is a smudge of fuzz there when it may be my eyes playing tricks. M51 I'd regard as 'difficult' despite its fame as being the first-ever recognised spiral (Lord Rosse) - it's a good magnitude fainter than any of the above.

Of course, other Messiers, globs especially, are relatively easy: granted reasonably dark sky, I doubt if any glob. down to mag. 7 is beyond the reach of 10x50s. Resolving a glob. is another matter though! Perhaps I ought to do a list next time - usually I just have a quick glance at M13 and leave it at that...

I was once lucky enough to have a good look at Omega Centauri (not a Messier btw) - from a location a long way further south than France. But conditions were poor and I couldn't resolve it. On a good night from far enough south one probably can.

Apatchy Pete,

Quite a list. It would be interesting if you could give a brief report on the wow factor of these messier objects i.e. what can you actually see.

With 7x50 and 8x40 I appear to be a poor relation. Does this mean that I have to increase both mag and aperture?

Pete, some useful comments that give a pecking list.

A useful link might be http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/binomess/binomesa.html

John

John, on the basis of the Stargazing with Bino's book, 8x40 or 7x50's are fine, at the smaller end, but fine. I'm not convinced that the 2x or 3x mag increase will really make much difference. I know in comparing my 10x50 and 12x50's that the 10x50's are my preference for several reasons, lighter, better contrast and longer eye relief. I really can't see much difference due to the change in magnification.

Hi John with my 10x50s or 20x80s bins i have found M10,M12,M31,M13,M33,M34,M35,M36,M37,M38,M4,M42,M44,M67,M41,M52,M103,M11,

M50,M29,M27,M19,NGC869,NGC884,NGC2362,NGC752,NGC6871,NGC1981,

COLL89,IC4665,IC1396,COLL69,NGC2264,.Mark

Archived