SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher 190mm Maksutov-Newtonian Astrograph

FLO

Thanks for the explanation Steve.

I'm beginning to understand it.

Could a Newt 8" f5, perfectly figured, be capable of a similar result, without the aid of a coma corrector, or even with it.? It isn't 20 questions, honest. :D

Ron.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could a Newt 8" f5, perfectly figured, be capable of a similar result, without the aid of a coma corrector

No, not without a coma corrector. If used with a coma corrector then it could deliver similar results, particularly if it has been designed with imaging in mind (has a larger than usual secondary for a wider field of illumination).

It isn't only the incredibly flat, wide, even field of illumination and 'built-in' coma correction that separates the Mak-Newt from regular Newtonians. The 190mm Mak Newt is a sealed tube so is less prone to tube currents. The tube is also made from 1.5mm steel so is less likely to flex and knife-edge internal baffles reduce internal reflections for increased contrast.

HTH

Thanks Steve.

I have not seen the weight of the OTA in print, at least I don't remember seeing it. SteveL had the unit side by side with his ED80 at Kielder, and stated indirectly, that the load was lighter than when his C11/ED80 Combo occupied the mount. He had three counterweights fitted to balance the SW & ED80. That means I would need another weight, unless two would cope with the SW OTA and a ZS66 scope. What say you sir.?

Ron. :D

• 5 months later...

As the reviewer, my only regrets are that the sodding sky was so Rubbish whilst I had it.. and that it had to go back....

.I managed one clear night on the Cone Nebula in H-A, and even from that...it was easy to work out that it is indeed a superb superb product, optically an absolute treat to use. The Venus shot in narrowband was as tight as a ducks bits at 40 fathoms, and considering I was using a Baader Cak filter, still had enough light grasp to work out very well wiith the Skynyx..

... it is indeed a superb superb product, optically an absolute treat to use.

Thanks Nick,

We have taken another out of stock for our own use, weather permitting James will be kicking its tyres soon. I am also moving house end-May so will finally have a garden large enough for a roll-off and a permanent setup, then I can play too! Why should SteveL have all the fun :)

For those arriving late to this thread and wondering what makes the 190MN so special: A Mak-Newt is made entirely from spherical surfaces. Spherical surfaces are perfect for mass production, they can easily and affordably be ground and polished to a very high surface accuracy. By comparison, a fast Newtonian's mirror must have steep parabolic curves that are considerably more difficult to manufacture so, unless you spend significantly more, you cannot expect anything like the same surface-finish accuracy.

The Mak-Newt's sealed tube is also less prone to air currents and the mirror is protected from the elements. The only downside is that its front corrector lens attracts dew (you'll need a dew-heater-tape) and the scope takes longer to cool, otherwise the design and performance is superior in every way to a regular Newtonian.

HTH

Thanks Steve for the technical info on the Mak-Newt. Do I assume that for visual purposes this scope provides a better visual image than say a 8" Newt? Is there a reasons why this type of scope is not made larger - say 10"? Or with the extra correcting plate it is just too heavy.

Mark

Archived