Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ISS Moon Transit - June 4th 2017

ArmyAirForce

ISS transit of the Moon tonight at 21:35:58hrs UTC from Washington Tyne & Wear. ASI120MM-S, Red filter on Skywatcher 200PDS scope.

2017-06-04-2135_7-R-2_f2276.thumb.jpg.dc99cf118bfd338332c29114a798b33d.jpg

Capture Video.....

I also set up my DSLR with my Evostar 80ED on my static MDF mount to capture a wider view, in case my estimate of the crossing position was wrong and I missed it with the big scope. Nikon D3200, and x2 converter on the Evostar 80ED. 

Thanks. It was my first planned ISS transit capture, though I think I caught it over the Sun once by chance a few years ago. The DSLR camera I was using back then didn't have great resolution and frame rate, and only caught four small blurred images.

It was just by chance that I was looking at Stellarium earlier yesterday evening, and realised that the ISS pass looked like it could cross. A little more research on the net confirmed it, so I set up with 30 minutes to spare. The cloud was building, with some drifting across the Moon prior to the transit, but it stayed clear until just after the pass, then it went really hazy before fully clouding over within minutes of the transit. I was lucky to catch it at all.

This is fantastic! Nice work!  Stuff like this keeps me looking up :) 

5 hours ago, ArmyAirForce said:

Thanks. It was my first planned ISS transit capture, though I think I caught it over the Sun once by chance a few years ago. The DSLR camera I was using back then didn't have great resolution and frame rate, and only caught four small blurred images.

It was just by chance that I was looking at Stellarium earlier yesterday evening, and realised that the ISS pass looked like it could cross. A little more research on the net confirmed it, so I set up with 30 minutes to spare. The cloud was building, with some drifting across the Moon prior to the transit, but it stayed clear until just after the pass, then it went really hazy before fully clouding over within minutes of the transit. I was lucky to catch it at all.

Also this is quite the suspenseful backstory!!!!

I did catch it on its own, with a lot of luck last year. I was imaging Jupiter and had got up to the green filter, when I saw the bright dot rising in the West. I quickly unlocked the clutches on my NEQ6 and manually tried to point the scope at the station through the backwards view finderscope! At 2.5 metres focal length, getting the station onto the tiny ASI120MM camera chip was pure luck, but as the video was rolling, and I was wildly waving my 200PDS around on the top of the EQ mount, the station did zip across the chip a few times. This was the best still from that video.

2016_iss1.jpg.b8a41ebc1bafdab0f89eb74c1b484a35.jpg

I've tried to catch it again since, with a planned approach, and haven't got anything near as good so far!!

Archived