Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Uranus - Another Milestone

Spotted Uranus this evening - very satisfying. I used GoTo, but wasn't sure the speck was in fact Uranus. The marvellous Stellarium came to the rescue, showing a U-shaped set of five objects, with U at the end. Couldn't detect any colour in it, as there was a lot of stray light, but at least I've seen it. Confidence continues to grow!

Congratulations !

Uranus and Neptune are not the most spectacular objects to observe, until you think about what you are seeing and how far away it is - then those tiny disks take on a whole new level of interest :icon_biggrin:

I think that's a great photo, Michael. The thing about a picture like this is that it's likely to be pretty much unique. Yes, it could be better framed with a longer focal length. But it isn't, and you worked with what you had. There are umpteen photographs of M31, but only one photo like yours. No one will ever take that picture again. It's special. One for the album.

It's also good to track them over the days and weeks. They don't move against the starry background as much as our closer neighbours, but they do move. I usually use bins to watch this. They're easy enough to keep track of if you go back regularly.

Which is why they are called 'planets' - which means 'wanderers' as they move among the stars.

The colour of Uranus is interesting as what colour you see may be different to other people. Some will see a shade of green, while someone else will see gray. Another may see blue. This will vary due to it's refraction through the atmosphere. But also due to the colour-sense of us humans is one of the latest acquired traits of people. When Homer's Odyssey was written, he describes the ocean as being a shade of 'burgundy.' So some people's colour-sense is more developed than those in another person. Blame genetics here.

I see Uranus as the colour of Dutch pea-soup.

Have fun -

Dave

Congratulations! Uranus is very different from the other planets. Although we cannot see these differences with our amatorial telescopes I think it's interesting to read about.

Now you have Neptune to spot!

I found if U defocus it slightly,the colour

comes out .Spotted Neptune, in the past,

& U could really see  the blue colour doing

this.

Steve.

Steve - 

Thanks for the tip.  I'll try in on Jupiter as well - it remains resolutely grey, but I intend to tease some colour out of it!

BTW - 1949 was a great year to be born.

Doug.

Steve - 

Thanks for the tip.  I'll try in on Jupiter as well - it remains resolutely grey, but I intend to tease some colour out of it!

BTW - 1949 was a great year to be born.

Doug.

Hi Dough. Try Using your Baader Neodymium filter on

the planet. It should help. I have just retired actually.

I see there is no date on your profile. You should be

able to see the bands on Jupiter, with  your 5" scope.

Steve.

Hi Doug. Try Using your Baader Neodymium filter on

the planet. It should help. I have just retired actually.

I see there is no date on your profile. You should be

able to see the bands on Jupiter, with  your 5" scope.

Steve.

Got the bands OK Steve - it's seeing any colour that's the problem.  I shall keep trying at different times/conditions: patience will bring its reward!

No date, but you can probably guess !  :wink:

Finding Uranus for the first time was an interesting experience. I looked for it on a few nights without finding it. When I did find it at last, I realized that I had always had the correct location but I regarded it as a star because only at higher magnifications it looks like a disc!

Forgot to mention: I liked the color of Uranus, pale blue-green.

And even if the disc looks very small, it still gives the amazing feeling of being able to see an object so far away not only as a point but as a shape.

And even if the disc looks very small, it still gives the amazing feeling of being able to see an object so far away not only as a point but as a shape.

I agree. The first view of Jupiter's little stripey disc was one of my top astro wow moments. I thought it utterly incredible that I could see a disc and texture on another world. I've felt like Major Tom every time since! And, as for Saturn........

Paul

Dead right. What a thoroughly rewarding pastime this is!

Archived