Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Helios Apollo 15x70 Still OOC after a trip to Glasgow Bino repairs

Astro_noob

Just got my 15x70s back after a trip to Glasgow bino repair for a service. They are mildly out of collomation, better than before they left but still OOC. They had been dropped before resulting in a fairly misaligned left and right view. I don't see doubles anymore but they are still OOC, gutted as it cost me £79 + £10 pp to get them repaired. They were pretty bad before they left to go to there workshop but I would have expected at least a note to say what they had done to the binoculars I got a text with a request to pay the charge and they arrived 2 days after payment cleared.

What should I do?

I will send them an email but I can't afford to send them of again. I also wanted them for going up north to the cairngorms this xmas. If I send them of I might not get them back in time.

Totally bummed by this. It's also possible they weren't damaged by Gladgow Bono repairs but were mishandled by the carrier?

I agree with the previous comments, to be out that amount of money with an unsatisfactory end result is maddening.  I sympathise with your plight and would be well hacked off if it happened to me! As you suggest though, it's entirely possible they've been mishandled by the carrier.

For what it's worth, this range of binoculars is very easily aligned (conditionally). If you have a tripod, a clear view of a far in the distant object (electricity pylon, telegraph pole etc), it will only take 5-10 minutes tops to sweeten them up. Chances are you'll only have to adjust one side if it's any way close.  My 20x110 arrived from the dealer with a very slight (but noticeable) misalignment, both vertically and horizontally. As my eyes were able to accommodate the misalignment, I never bothered until recently sorting it out. 

Each prism has two adjustment screws, one for the vertical, the other for horizontal. There is a rubber grommet covering each screw which you'll need to pry out with a pointy object of sorts. The trick is small adjustments, approx 1/8 of a turn at a time. You'll quickly see what's going on and adjust accordingly. I've marked the adjustment screws with Tipex in the pics below. The bottom screw (marked red) is where the binocular is purged with nitrogen, "do not" touch this. 

HTH

post-11833-0-84814500-1449347012_thumb.j

post-11833-0-02305900-1449347032_thumb.j

post-11833-0-02305900-1449347032_thumb.j

post-11833-0-24757500-1449347048_thumb.j

I did try collimating them before they were sent of too the repairers but it was so far out i was either over or under compensating. I thought giving it to the pros would be far less messy. I wish I didn't now. At this point I don't want to blame them as the bonus might have been knocked in transit but I had no paperwork in the bag to say what they did.

I will give your advice a try Damo thanks, sending them off again to be charged the same just is not worth considering.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, i have a pair of Helios 25x100, do you know if these are adjusted in the same way, there are screws in the same positions as yours only there is no rubber covering on them, would they be for collimating if needed.

Im complete newbie, love looking up even if i dont know what im looking at.

Archived