SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello Everyone from South Jersey USA

heyitsespo

Hi Everyone.  Just got back into amateur astronomy since my 6 year old started showing an interest.  Had the usual inexpensive telescopes over the years and bought a used Meade etx 90 about 15 years ago.  Tried taking pics by holding a point and shoot camera up to the eyepiece and got hit or miss results.  Bought a Nikon d50 and a T ring back when they first came out and got better results, but I always lusted for something with the goto feature and a bit more upscale.  Came across a rarely used (former owner never even tried the autostar) LX90 10 inch with a collection of 14 eyepieces a few weeks ago for $1000 on craigslist and bought it.  Now me and the little guy are out nearly every night we are able to use it, and I think the wife is buying me a Nikon 5500 for xmas.  We are joining the amateur astronomy club in the area soon, I also have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and a Beach Permit so I plan to get out in the woods and down to the beach for some  observing and astrophotography.  Haven't tried to get the equipment on the back of my Harley yet (noticed someone made a comment about carrying their stuff on a Ducati).  May also try and pull the I.R. filter out of the D50 if I do get the 5500 so that should be interesting.  Personal info, 51 years old ( yep, with a 22 year old grad student and a 6 year old, wife apparently couldn't count lol), retired Police Officer with his own Landscaping business so I now have some time to enjoy life and be home everynight, sipping my Jack Daniels and looking through my telescope.  Cheers!

thanks MarsG76....wife thought I was lying after I showed her what Meade wanted for just the scope.  I had to show her the text messages so she would believe me.  Throw in the eyepieces and I couldnt pass it up.  Still working on getting the autostar squared away but its close.   Have to get the cable to run the scope from a laptop and the Nikon actually has software so you can use a laptop to operate it (just the shutter, they havent added any other controls yet).  Would be nice to sit in my den and run the scope with it being below zero outside and look at the image on my 100 inch projector, oh while sipping my Jack of course, but thats a ways away...

Hi heyitsespo and welcome to SGL, nice scope you have managed to acquire, you will, no doubt derive much pleasure from using it, however, if you keep on sipping the Jack Daniels nectar,  while observing, I am sure the night sky will begin to reveal some lovey multiple star systems for you :D enjoy your Astronomy and the forum :)

welcome to sgl and back to astronomy. just a word of caution, tiny grains of sand and delicate astronomy equiptment rarely make for a happy ending so be extremely careful if viewing on the beach :D

Archived