Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OSC calibration master files creation

Hi,

I have a question about creating calibration frames for a DSLR. I have read that all calibration frames should be done before any debayering, which is all well and good and understood. My question is about file conversions.

Does it matter if I convert the raw CR2 images into 3 channel fits and then create masters based on those? Doing this means I can process and create the masters from multiple fits files much easier than trying to combine large numbers of calibration CR2 files.

Thanks

Matt

Thanks Louise. DSS generates master tiffs from memory and worked well, but I haven't tried it on LOTS of calibration frames before. I am currently using PixInsight and when calibrating CR2 files, it cannot do that raw format in a streaming fashion, so when attempting to generate a master bias from 100 bias frames from a DSLR, it properly cripples my poor old laptop as it tries to do it all in one go. Bulk converting the CR2 files to 3 channel fits files before calibrating allows me to generate the master file in a progressive manner, and I was just wondering if doing raw conversions from Canon's own format before creating masters was an acceptable approach.

I guess I should just try it out and see if the calibrated images come out ok :), but I would like to know a bit more about the CR2 format I suppose.

Hi Matt

I often do, say, 50 flats and 50 bias frames (dslr) and dss handles that ok. I'm not sure there is any advantage in doing more than 50. I don't see why you couldn't just use dss to generate the master calibration files and then use PI to do everything else.

Louise

Archived