Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

programmable camera remote advice

wimvb

Since the weather isn't exactly cooperating, I've tinkered some with my imaging setup.

This fall we had a few cloudless nights, and I've done some imaging with a fixed tripod.

I've also made a scotch mount (manual so far, but I'm working on a version with a stepping motor).

My next upgrade would be some kind of exposure control and I've searched the web for some budget alternatives.

There are several programmable remote controls out there, such as Hahnel Captur

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=175&pId=175

and Meyin TW830

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meyin-TW-830-DC2-Remote-Control/dp/B00CXD0YTY

(this one is available under several different brand names, e.g. QUMOX)

Especially the Meyin seems cheap, but I can't find any review or manual for the remote anywhere.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Or can anyone point me to a different option?

The requirements are relatively simple, something like the camera remote on a synscan: configure a number of exposures with a certain exposure duration and a certain number of exposures.

I have one branded Shoot, pretty simple thing.

Cannot see much use for a remote one, it has to be with the camera all the time so why not just plug it in and let it get on.

Lets see, mine has 3 inputs:

Exposure - set to say 30 seconds,

Then Delay - which it the time between the end of one exposure and the start of the next - say 30seconds again,

Repertitions, basically how many of the Exposure+Delay combinations to do.

Think there is a Ding-Dong option for when finished.

I also think (not 100% sure) that you can say wait a few seconds before starting.

Never really bothered with the last 2.

The Delay is the important one.

On a DSLR it is best to allow the sensor to rest (cool) between shots, I use a delay equal to the exposure.

IF you do a noise reduction shot on the DSLR then this is the same period as the exposure, in effect your exposure is say 30+30 so it is 60 seconds, then you would need to let it all cool for 60 seconds. So the delay is 90 seconds - 30 for NR and 60 for the "cool".

Get it wrong and the camera either can get warm, or you can ask it to take an exposure while it is doing the NR exposure. Mine sort of gets confused and freezes and things are lost.

So make sure you add additional seconds on here, there and everywhere and think through what is happening.

Amazon have several, all look similar to the one you show.

Just put in "Camera remote timer" and the camera.

Mine was about £20 so the Amazon one looks about what you will pay.

Guess you have a Nikon, think these do a noise reduction shot as "standard", you may be able to disable it but not sure. So anyexposure you set may in reality come out as twice the time you anticipate. This has come up in the past and I think some can be turned off and some cannot for the NR exposure. Even so let the sensor cool a bit.

I found out that the local ClasOhlson has the cheaper model, similar to the Meyin above. The Canon version is compatible with my Pentax, so I bought it today. Works like a charm.

Ronin, as for your comments on noise reduction, I hacked my camera to turn off noise reduction (normally impossible with my camera model). I take darks after my ordinary shooting session, rather than spending imaging time taking noise reduction shots. But I will certainly test your suggestion to wait between shots to let the camera cool down, as it is prone to severe amp glow.

Thanks for the reply.

With my Pentax K-X you can connect the camera to my laptop via USB and use pktether (free software) to control the camera and download photos as they are taken. I found being able to see decent size images a big help for focusing. The app also lets you take a series of shots automatically. Its not the most polished bit of software ever written but it is useable, and does manage to get tethered shooting out of old Pentax cameras that otherwise can't do this.

I seem to recall Pentax have some official software for newer cameras than mine.

Archived