Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ST102 owners!!!

Andy78

Hi Andy,

Congratulations on the new scope !

I found around 80x - 100x was as far as it was worth pushing the 102 F/5 achromat. They are great wide field / low to medium power scopes but not really designed for high power observing.

Thanks for the info. My previous scope was s generic 150/750 so I'm used to the medium power and my eyepieces are already set for that range! But this scope was such a bargain I just had to buy it!!! I used it quickly last night to have a look at the moon, I've not had a frac before, only reflectors, and I was well delighted at being able to easily put It out and start viewing straight away!!! This 102 is defenatly a keeper!!!

Once again.... Thankyou

Hi happy cat!!! I bought it yesterday and only had a quick look at the moon from back door (east facing) I needed to get to bed! I'm ip for work at 4am! I was hoping to have it outside tonight for a couple of hours, but the weather put a stop to that plan lol

Hello again Happy-Kat... I've just had the scope out for an hour!!! Clouds caused me to go back in doors!!! Yes, I love the pin point stars!!! I've into looked through a reflector until now!!! And I've got to say that I love my little refractor!!!

Hi Dave... I completely agree, it's an awesome little scope and very grab and go!!! My wife has got me a pair of Celestron 15x70 sky master binos for xmas so they're going to make a great combo! I think that I too will get an evostar 120 n the future as well! I was going for the Helios version before I bought this st102! But lost the bid, I'm so glad I did now as well cos I really do love this scope!!!!

• 1 month later...

They work great with 2" wide field eyepieces like the Panaview 32mm, giving a whopping 4.4 degree field of view. Fantastic on the Pleiades and Perseus double cluster. On the other end, I sometimes use a 5mm with a 2.5x Barlow for 250x magnification on double stars. The 5mm on its own is good for planets and the moon.

Hi Bostoneax, I use 25mm and 15mm BST Starguiders with a Revelation 2x Barlow, that you can screw the lens off to give you a 1.5 Barlow so my 2 EPs becom 6 eps. They work really good but I get CA at the higher mag!!!

Hope this helps, Andy

I have had one of these since i first got into the hobby. I have also had 8 inch Dobs, 90mm Maks, and i currently have a 127mm Mak. 

But

The ST102 is still there. My first scope and a keeper for sure i think. 

I sold it to my dad for a bit, but got it back off him. 

So easy to bung on my Vixen Porta II and have a quick scan around.

The only thing i would get rid of it for is an ST120 or 150. lol

I have a 32mm revelation eyepiece that is good for wide field panning across the sky.

Also 25mm skywatcher standard eyepiece, 12mm revelation, 9mm celestron xcel, 6mm TMB planetary II.

All of them seem to work well depending on the subject.

For a scope that is not suited to planetary i have had some quite pleasing (albeit small) views of planets such as jupiter through it.

I have had one of these since i first got into the hobby. I have also had 8 inch Dobs, 90mm Maks, and i currently have a 127mm Mak. 

But

The ST102 is still there. My first scope and a keeper for sure i think. 

I sold it to my dad for a bit, but got it back off him. 

So easy to bung on my Vixen Porta II and have a quick scan around.

The only thing i would get rid of it for is an ST120 or 150. lol

I have a 32mm revelation eyepiece that is good for wide field panning across the sky.

Also 25mm skywatcher standard eyepiece, 12mm revelation, 9mm celestron xcel, 6mm TMB planetary II.

All of them seem to work well depending on the subject.

For a scope that is not suited to planetary i have had some quite pleasing (albeit small) views of planets such as jupiter through it.

Hi Bobby1970,

Do you find the Mak 127 to be a good complement to the ST102? I'm thinking of getting one for lunar and planatary observations (possibly on an AZ Goto mount).

I agree the ST102 is surprisingly good for planets, especially as a grab-and-go. The CA does annoy me on the moon though!

Ed

Hi Bobby1970,

Do you find the Mak 127 to be a good complement to the ST102? I'm thinking of getting one for lunar and planatary observations (possibly on an AZ Goto mount).

I agree the ST102 is surprisingly good for planets, especially as a grab-and-go. The CA does annoy me on the moon though!

Ed

I enjoy using the Mak on planets and the moon. But, i never seem to get on with it very well on my goto mount. The field of view is very narrow compared to the ST102, as a result it just doesn't seem accurate enough on my goto mount. Maybe its just me, but i don't think i have ever really had a good experience with it on the goto.

I use it mainly on my Vixen Porta II mount and its great for planets and the moon, however as i said, due to the narrow field of view i got myself a 32mm eyepiece. The moon fits nicely in the view with this, it also helps when trying to find objects. 

The view in the Mak is also much dimmer than in the ST (for DSO's at least) , i believe this is due to the long focal length of the scope in comparison to the ST.

Regarding the CA, i have a baader semi-apo filter permanently in the diagonal. It isn't some sort of magic bullet. But it does improve matters imho. 

I got one second hand off astrobuysell.com/uk

I enjoy using the Mak on planets and the moon. But, i never seem to get on with it very well on my goto mount. The field of view is very narrow compared to the ST102, as a result it just doesn't seem accurate enough on my goto mount. Maybe its just me, but i don't think i have ever really had a good experience with it on the goto.

I use it mainly on my Vixen Porta II mount and its great for planets and the moon, however as i said, due to the narrow field of view i got myself a 32mm eyepiece. The moon fits nicely in the view with this, it also helps when trying to find objects. 

The view in the Mak is also much dimmer than in the ST (for DSO's at least) , i believe this is due to the long focal length of the scope in comparison to the ST.

Regarding the CA, i have a baader semi-apo filter permanently in the diagonal. It isn't some sort of magic bullet. But it does improve matters imho. 

I got one second hand off astrobuysell.com/uk

Thanks, that's useful feedback. I also have the Porta II mount, so it's good to hear that it works well with the Mak 127.

Archived