SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which book(s) for christmas?

rockystar

Just been having a look at my Christmas list and I've got four books on it at the moment and was wondering if anyone has any of these and can recommend (or not) any of them.

I already have a copy of Turn Left at Orion, and I am now looking for a star atlas; the two I've got book marked are:

The  Cambridge Star Atlas

Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas

Both spiral bound, for use at the scope - I have Stellarium on my laptop and do use it while I am at home (I can keep it plugged in, in the conservatory), but with the coming cold weather I don't really want to be taking any kind of tablet /laptop out to the middle of a field.

Any other options for an Atlas over one of these two?

The two I have book marked are:

Star Hopping: Your Vista to Viewing the Universe (which seems quite expensive - £40 new in paper back)

Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders (Is this an at the scope book, or could it be read on a Kindle?)

Patrick Moores's Year Book 2016

So I'm basically looking for anything to aid with visual observation, and something to keep me entertained while the clouds and rain are here (this one will have to be a big book...)

Here is a great night by night guide to make it easier to identify and observe many of the most interesting Lunar features.  The left hand page shows what the view is like while looking hrough a Refractor or Mak,  and the right hand page shows how the view appears while looking through a Reflector. The photos are the same, but oriented differently.

" Discover The Moon " - by Jean Lacroux  &  Christian Legrand

ISBN  0  521 53555 7

post-21902-0-69807600-1448827565.jpg

post-21902-0-37855300-1448827579.jpg

That looks like a nice luna book. Might consider that for my birthday next year.

I think it'll be Astro Wonders (as someone else pointed me towards it) and Pocket Atlas - though I might check to see if there is going to be a new edition out soon and wait if there is.

+1 for the Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas is excellent and not too large - mine purchased in August 2012 and starting to look "used" survives the dewey nights if stood upright and pages "fanned" afterwards.

Have this The Year-Round Messier Marathon Field Guide as a present; want to have a crack the the Messier marathon in March and prepping (well trying to with all the clouds) was recommended. Amazon had a couple, but I see they've 10 new now at less ££ than on the bay.

Chris

That looks like a nice luna book. Might consider that for my birthday next year.

I think it'll be Astro Wonders (as someone else pointed me towards it) and Pocket Atlas - though I might check to see if there is going to be a new edition out soon and wait if there is.

There is suppose to be a new medium size version of the pocket sky atlas available sometime soon. I have the 7" x 9" Pocket Sky Atlas, and also the large  16" x 11" Sky Atlas 2000.0 ( 16" x 22" unfolded ) version along with its Companion guide that gives data & descriptions for all of the two thousand twenty seven hundred star clusters, galaxies, and nebula shown in the Sky Atlas 2000.0 ; this pair can keep you busy for a lifetime of observing.

post-21902-0-10952400-1448829565.jpg

post-21902-0-29310900-1448829576.jpg

Here is a great night by night guide to make it easier to identify and observe many of the most interesting Lunar features.  The left hand page shows what the view is like while looking hrough a Refractor or Mak,  and the right hand page shows how the view appears while looking through a Reflector. The photos are the same, but oriented differently.

ISBN  0  521 53555 7

This is a great book.I picked up a good as new used copy for next to nothing.

I'd rate it an Eight out of Ten.

It would have scored higher,but for some silly typo's-i.e. names of features being missed of some of the maps,so you need to look at the opposite page,which can be upside down or mirror image (depending on the telescopic view depicted) to work out what's what for Your telescope.

Also another vote for 'Astronomical wonders' for an in depth read for those cloudy nights,and 'Pocket Sky Atlas' as a Practical Atlas.

ISBN  0  521 53555 7

That looks a good book for Lunar watching, might get that.

I've got a Sky and Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas on the way to me now, and I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I gather, though, it is currently out of print in light of a new edition coming out. I managed to find one on the web, though the usual print shifters don't have it in stock, at least when I looked. Hopefully they can get a new edition out in time for Christmas.

Ian

Edit. Amazon now has one copy of the S&T Pocket Atlas!

Archived