Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello

Neptune38

Hi everyone  :hello:

Newbie here, i'm going to be getting my 1st telescope in the next week or so, have decided on a Sky-watcher Evostar 90. Really looking forward to getting started. Have been doing lots of reading to learn what i can before i get started. Any tips and advice very welcome.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL - You may like to look at downloading Stellarium for your PC - A great planetarium programme that will really help you navigate around as required :D

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Sara,

Thanks for the heads up on Stellarium, i will check it out, this evening  :icon_mrgreen:

Hi and welcome. Are you having the eq or the az mount?

Hi Dave,

I haven't decided 100% which to go for as yet, but a couple of people on here advised me last night to go for the AZ mount, with it being easier to set up, but have done a bit of research on it, and with the EQ2 mount being especially for astronomical use, i don't plan on using my telescope for terrestrial use and i will more than likely be sticking with the Sky-watcher for quite a while, i think i will be going for the EQ mount.

Hi everyone  :hello:

Newbie here, i'm going to be getting my 1st telescope in the next week or so, have decided on a Sky-watcher Evostar 90. Really looking forward to getting started. Have been doing lots of reading to learn what i can before i get started. Any tips and advice very welcome.

Wrap up warm as Winter is setting in ( Snow here today!) and just get used to your new scope  before any  considered upgrades.

Welcome to the SGL.

Also, if you have not discovered it yet, download and install the free software package called Stellarium. Totally safe, and an amazing addition for our hobby. Set-up for your location, and enjoy. There's lots in there.  :smiley:

The EQ2 mount is quite lightweight for an f10 tube. You may struggle a bit if you want to try a bit of tracking for photos. On the other hand an equatorial mount is a good way of getting a feel for how the sky "works"

TBH, Dave, i don't think i'll be taking any photos any time soon, i think it will take a while to just get used to setting up and using the telescope. I've just watched a video on how to align and set up an EQ mount.... looks complicated, but i'm going to stick with it, after all there's no rush, the stars aren't going anywhere, are they!

Wrap up warm as Winter is setting in ( Snow here today!) and just get used to your new scope  before any  considered upgrades.

Welcome to the SGL.

Also, if you have not discovered it yet, download and install the free software package called Stellarium. Totally safe, and an amazing addition for our hobby. Set-up for your location, and enjoy. There's lots in there.  :smiley:

Thanks charic, i won't be doing any upgrades for a while, think it will take a while to get used to it. Just downloading Stellarium now  :smiley:

Hi and welcome to the forum. +1 for Stellarium and if you can configure it to your viewing location then you will be able to precisely anticipate when objects will be available to view - especially if any part of your sky is obstructed.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum

Hi and welcome to the forum. +1 for Stellarium and if you can configure it to your viewing location then you will be able to precisely anticipate when objects will be available to view - especially if any part of your sky is obstructed.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum

Hi James, i haven't figured out how work Stellarium properley yet, but i know the lattitude of where i am and it isn't far off by the looks of it. I've also downloaded an app on to my phone called Skymaps, i had a play with it last night, and it was spot on!

Hi Neptune38 and welcome to SGL, I am sure you will derive much pleasure from your new scope when it arrives, in the meantime you can peruse the many forum sections, there is a wealth of information for you to tap into, enjoy the forum :)

Hi Neptune38 and welcome to SGL, I am sure you will derive much pleasure from your new scope when it arrives, in the meantime you can peruse the many forum sections, there is a wealth of information for you to tap into, enjoy the forum :)

Thanks glowjet, been into the shop today and ordered it, should have it next week, it's an early christmas present  :icon_biggrin:

Archived