Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello

jthombs

Hi all

Just a quick post to say hello.

I've been observing for a while, mostly self taught with advice from forums and some internet research. I've got a Celestron 114 Astromaster (with a few eyepieces, 32/19/9/6/4) and I've swapped the standard finder scope for a Rigel (which made a world of difference :-) )

I've been learning the constellations and have started using Stellarium and a star atlas for a bit of hopping. I've found the andromeda galaxy and a few of the other Messier objects so far.

I need to improve my planning though as its a bit hap hazard atm

Jon

Hi Jon and welcome to the forum. How you construct your observing session is a matter of personal preference, but a little structure to your evening would certainly help you get the most out of a given session given the lack of clear skies at the moment. I would certainly spend part of the evening attempting to learn at least one constellation and perhaps the names of the brighter stars etc and where to locate them. This is a useful exercise as it helps provide you with a sense of scale that certain maps don't provide when you are comparing a given constellation to the whole of the night sky. If available, I would certainly give some time to looking at a given planet too. It is important to train your eye to pick out details that are there, but which can be missed with a cursory glance. On the subject of the solar system, don't forget to include observing the Moon which is a fascinating object revealing many features of interest during the changing phases. You might find downloading a piece of software called Virtiual Moon Atlas helpful in learning where the major craters and features are along with taking a look at the Lunar 100 along with its Map as a further guide to what can be seen.

Wishing you clear skies and hope the above suggestions help you in your astronomical quest. 

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, you are spot on about a bit of planning as I'm just finding stuff rather than finding it and knowing more about it. Any advice on note-taking when observing or planning would be good.

J

Archived