Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope weight ratings- NEQ6

Hello! I have an NEQ6 mount and after reading alot of talk about weight ratings I still cant figure out if everyone means just the scope or the scope plus counterweights?!

I have a 200p and also a Skystar 80 which I want to use for guiding. When both are attached to my side by side bracket they weigh 13.2kg. Nikon and meade DSI will add another bit of weight.

The normal quoted weight capacities are for the telescope + accessories etc. and definitely exclude the weight of any counterweights fitted.

I have a C11 + three cameras + spectrograph + 200mm electronic finder (about 18Kg all up) sitting on my NEQ6pro - with five counterweights (!!)

No issues, no drama.

I can guide on a 20 micron slit gap for ten minute subs with no problems.

The NEQ6 will take more that youre ever likely to throw at it. However, despite the payload rating you still need to tread carefully when moving around - being heavy footed around the mount is not good for your guiding. Set it up, then back away :)

Ok so I had really underestimated the mounts capacity! Thats great news excited to try photos with the guide scope going, will have to order some more counterweights now.

The EQ6 can work with more than stated capacity, but it comes with a few caveats.

The scope will have to be extremely well ballanced in both axis in all positions. Achieving this is not as easy as it looks. Using a single scope and using off axis guiding both help DEC axis balance issues.

Momentum- 70Kg of scope + weights has huge momentum. When fast slewing the mount must not be stopped suddenly - that has the potential to strip the gears off the drives!

It is probably safest to stick to somewhere near the mount manufacturers stated maximum capacity (at least until the warranty has run out!!).

Archived