SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello

kelly york

Hi to all you lovely people i've just been lucky enough to had my 1 st telescope bought for me i'm completly new to all of this but i really want to get started any tips or suggestions would be most appreciated  ,Thanks in advance .

Hi Kelly and welcome to the forum. I suppose the first question we need to ask you is which telescope have you got, is there a manufacturer's name or number written on the scope somewhere? Reflecting type telescopes (one with a mirror at one end) will eventually need 'collimating' or in plain speak a little bit of tuning to ensure that everything you see remains in focus, whereas a refracting telescope with an objective lens at one end doesn't need that kind of adjustment.

If you haven't done so already, you might want to think about downloading some free planetary software called "Stellarium" which will show you a view of the sky in real time. If you configure it to match where you live, you will be able to easily find objects and identify those which you comes across in your observing, There are lots of other tools that come with this software that you can play with when the clouds come in!

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Hi and welcome to SGL - Stellarium is a good download as already mentioned. Will really help you navigate your way around.

Have a look in the sketching section here and you'll get a good idea of the sorts of things you'll see - There won't be anything in glorious colours I'm afraid.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. The book which is most often recommended on this site is "Turn Left at Orion ". This will show you targets that can be seen with your scope and also what they are liable to look like, depending on the size of your scope. I would also recommend a star atlas, " The Pocket Star Atlas " published by Sky and Telescope. A useful app if you have a tablet is Star Chart. This is the type that if you point it at an object in the sky it will tell you what it is. Hope you enjoy your new hobby.

Welcome to SGL!

The Sky and Telescope Pocket Star Atlas is the best simple star map and Turn Left at Orion is a good book for explaining the easier to find / observe objects.

Also David Chandlers Planisphere (the 50-60 degree version) is my favorite easy reference for finding my way around the constellations.

Hi Kelly and welcome to SGL, good advice already given, however, you may find it beneficial to seek out your local Astronomy club, where you will be able to discuss your problems with like minded people, enjoy the forum :)

You may find this link nlincsastro@hotmail.co.uk of interest, a new society who are meeting at Barton on Humber.

Please Could you recommend any books or websites that could help me out i've spent the last few hours having a look but there is so much to choose from thank you so much x

I am surprised nobody has mentioned it, but how about the Stargazers Lounge website ?   :wink:  There is a wealth of information here, just have a look at the Tutorials section which can be found at the top of ....... " Getting Started General Help and Advice ".

Edit: All the best, and Welcome to the forums.

Archived