SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Good option for an upgrade?

Hi all,

I haven't had a chance to get in here for a long time, career change and lots of other things going on.

However, I may have just been offered a good deal... Except I'm out of my depth with the scope in question.

Long story short, go grandfather in law (if that's even a thing) was bought a telescope as a present some years ago.

It is an orion optics VX8 with the eq5 syncsan tripod. He has had it set up in his summerhouse for a while, but has only ever actually used it once or twice as he never really had much of an interest.

His wife said it was bought for about £2,000 at the time but she obviously wouldn't expect to get that back.

They have said that if I want it, I can have it for half price.

I have had a look over it. It's 100 percent stock. Standard eyepiece with it. Mirror looks in good nick as it's always had both caps on. He hasn't got the box or any paperwork but I'm pretty confident it's not been knocked about etc.

He can't find the counterweights at the moment but he does think he has them. I already have an eq5 so weights won't be an issue.

So, do you think it's a good upgrade from my current SW 130 (the non parabolic) and would you say is it worth the price at £1,000? If not, what would be a decent price for it all second hand?

Any advice, as always is very welcome.

Thanks

Jonny

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

First rule of salesmanship is make out that something costs much more than what they actually are asking for it, that way you get conned into thinking your have a bargain. We all fall for this one mostly every time we walk into a store. It's called gilding the lilly I believe, in this case the price! ;)

Orion Orion optics scopes usually depreciate a lot so their used value is nothing like their cost new. I don't know why this is because they are pretty good scopes but that the way the market seems to work.

I would have said that £500-£600 would be a fairer price for the scope and mount. The new price of the scope and mount combination is currently around £1,100 assuming that it's the standard level optics.

Thanks very much all. The owners know very little about the scope so probably believed half price was a good offer, no malice on their side I'm sure.

It's all completely standard, just 1 ep that isn't particularly exciting and no bells or whistles.

Looking online I saw the scope somewhere for 600ish new, the mount for 520 new as well. In hindsight, maybe as second hand 5-600 is a better price point.

Many thanks again for the points of view!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Archived