SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Friday 28th - Great Prominence even better - look if you can!

paulastro

The prominence that performed so well yesterday looks even better this morning.  It looks even more as if it might have lift - off at some time.   If like me you can't observe it directly today, its well woth watching its development on GONG.  You never know what's going to happen or when!

Thanks for the heads up, Paul, I was looking at the prom late last night on Gong, hoping it would still be there at 10am!

My luck was in this morning, the clouds were rushing in so I set up my 85mm scope and Quark on the decking, the only spot I could see the sun from. Not the most stable base, but needs must :laugh:

My first impression was just the large size of the prom, it filled nearly a third of the view with my TV 32mm eyepiece. :laugh:

A nice arch, like the top of a rainbow. One end much fatter than the other, and it may have been an illustion, but it felt like the fatter end was heading towards us. There was a good feeling of depth, though it could be just because one end was thin!

At one stage the shape reminded me of a horse and jockey leaping over a fence with the jockey low on the horse. :embarrassed:

Clouded out here now, wishing everyone who needs it some clear skies.

Many thanks for that fine description, that adds a lot to the GONG images I'm monitoring.  You did well to grab the opportunity you had.  I love the horse and jockey interpretation, it's the sort of mad thing I see in prominences!   :smiley:

Archived