Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fantastic Clear Skies - Early Morning 28-11-15

Pig

I have been on quite an extensive training course this week with work, between it and the long drive home it left me pretty exhausted so I went to bed really early (7pm).

As you can probably guess that led to me waking up early :laugh:  I am so glad I did though as we have the clearest skies I have seen in a very long time.

The Moon looks incredible, even at its current phase I could see 6 of Plato's craterlets :shocked:  The termination is also looking pretty spectacular and it seems as if I could reach out and touch the surface.... I can't find this illusive old man though :laugh:

The rest of the sky is looking great and many double are apparent, It is quite strange to see the Plough at such a strange angle. Venus looks like an 350 lumen Led light that has recently been polished.... very nice indeed.

I managed to get a £250 "Mountain Equipment" down jacket for £130 from Blacks in the "Black Friday" sale and boy is it as warm as toast. The padding on my observing seat has frozen so that should give you an idea of how cold it is outside. The coat is so good it feels as warm as if I was in bed.

Anyhow, back I go outside to enjoy this wonderful morning sky before it gets light :grin:

Venus, Mars and Jupiter are all in a nice diagonal line... I think views of Jupiter cannot be bested than that of the views delivered by a refractor, even with a mere 80mm of aperture the banding is much better defined than my previous 9.25" SCT....... most remarkable (admittedly it is an expensive refractor and has a 3.5mm XW eyepiece to suit )

Good to hear you had some clear sky Shaun I don't think judging by what people have said the UK has had the best of it lately, I had an incredible 21 clear nights onthe trot from the start of November but it is now payback time with a week of wet and cold weather but not freezing. I often feel the early morning skies have the edge over anything that after sunset has to offer, they just look so much clearer and stable.  The Old Man in the moon moved to Bulgaria BTW.

Alan.

Thank you Alan,

I am not sure if I have had 21 night time sessions this year, it has been very poor of late, but hey..... England has always had rubbish weather :shocked:  On the whole solar observing has been pretty good this year but it too has suffered of late.

I agree, the morning star and planet show do seem to offer much clearer seeing conditions. This morning is certainly one of them :laugh:

I got up at 05:40 this morning and was amazed at how clear it looked outside. I opened the door, realised how cold it was and wimped out :sad:

Well done for getting out there. Having just watched the weather forecast for the weekend I think you grabbed the only opportunity we will have for quite a few days.

I was up at 5:30, and took some images of Jupiter, but my toes and fingers are suffering acute frostbite! :shocked:  Hoping to post the images a little bit later. I was going to stay out longer, at 7:00 my finger wouldn't work (literally) and I was worried that the cold might kill the laptop. I wish that these computer manufacturers would make a touchpad that would work with gloves on!

John :smiley:

I wish that these computer manufacturers would make a touchpad that would work with gloves on!

John :smiley:

Try some of these (I've no connection, &c):

Etouch Touchscreen Gloves, for iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, Samsung, HTC and other smartphones, PDA's & Sat navs, Black (M/L) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005RP7NZI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_wHwwwbKMZ5F6TT

Glad the skies saved some clear for your return, Shaun!

A bit of lunar imaging for me last night, I didn't get around to an eyepiece view but very much enjoyed observing on the lappy screen during capture. Must do a visual only lunar session soon with the bino viewer.

Congrats on your Black Friday bargain, may it get plenty of usage this winter!

Lovely report Shaun and well done for getting out there. It was a really stunning morning. I was upat about 4, unfortunately because of an ill littl'un, but as I came downstairs to fetch the calpol I did spend a few moments gazing through the window at Orion dipping towards the south west. And when the sun finally came up it seemed wonderfully bright and clear. WIsh I'd been out with a scope; seems to have been overcast or windy for weeks...

Paul

Well done Shaun on the observing session. To view 6 craterlets in Plato in excellent work - were you using your Esprit Pro Frac?

Thank you Mark.... I am indeed they are a great scope, it is the clearest view of the Moon I have experienced thus far..... I also use it with the Quark Chromo and it gives great full solar disc :laugh: so its quite versatile.

Lovely report Shaun and well done for getting out there. It was a really stunning morning. I was upat about 4, unfortunately because of an ill littl'un, but as I came downstairs to fetch the calpol I did spend a few moments gazing through the window at Orion dipping towards the south west. And when the sun finally came up it seemed wonderfully bright and clear. WIsh I'd been out with a scope; seems to have been overcast or windy for weeks...

Paul

Thank you Paul, it was a great morning indeed. It has been a very lean time of late as you say, so I was quite pleased that I just happen to wake up at the right time :laugh:

I've been kicking myself all day for not going out. I should print this thread and pin it to the noticeboard in the kitchen to remind myself of the right thing to do  the next time this happens :rolleyes:

Good report. I agree mornings can be excellent when they happen. The air has usually cleared and if its still - wow.

Pleased you didn't end up in hospital with the frozen padding on your personal observing seat. <grin>.

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

I've been kicking myself all day for not going out. I should print this thread and pin it to the noticeboard in the kitchen to remind myself of the right thing to do  the next time this happens :rolleyes:

Derek,

I was in two minds TBH Derek as it was really cold and staying warm an comfortable should have been the natural option to take :laugh:  but I just bit the bullet and went for it.

Good report. I agree mornings can be excellent when they happen. The air has usually cleared and if its still - wow.

Pleased you didn't end up in hospital with the frozen padding on your personal observing seat. <grin>.

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

Thank you kev,

I will make the effort to get up earlier in the hope of capturing these great moments. I will have to find something to keep my botty warm too :grin:

Friday night / Saturday AM was awesome - crisp as you like and fantastic transparency...  Pity about the Moon!  I was imaging from 10:30pm until 4:30 ish when my battery died...  It was, freezing luckily I control my rig from a warm room! :)

Last night it seemed there would be a short opportunity at 1:30am - I switched everything on, got focus and platesolved to do another another run on M101 with my IDAS LPS-V4 filter to get some more narrow-band data on it....  Just started the first sub and clouds came in. Bah. Switched off and went back to bed!

Archived