Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

take your time....new to SGL...

estwing

hello to all those new members...well after getting yourself a new scope/bino's....you must get on the the road to stargazing at some point. Scanning through all the topics on here, studying post that take your interest and give good advise is a must and a great way to get up to speed as they say. But as you might not notice until you actually get your astro gear....it can all of a sudden cloud up for a few nights!...work gets in the way and perhaps before you know it you haven't been out observing for a few weeks...or a month...or two. Interest can wain and this fantastic new hobby that gripped you two months ago has nose dived....stick with it...its a long road and the stars aren't going anywhere!...believe it or not I haven't seen a galaxy, glob,planet or any DSO with my scope since April...yes April! some times all you can do is show patience,stay calm....take your time,clear skies everyone...

Same here, I last had a decent night session in March!

I hope to get out soon though, maybe in the next couple weeks.

Sure I've been busy also and conditions weren't ideal- but so long as I keep my gear, it'll be ready.

:-)

P.S.  I've found comfort looking up to see Venus and Jupiter in the mornings on my way into work.

Easiest option to see things is generally a small scope and set up, basically something that you can carry in one go.

The other aspect is do not expect to be out there under clear skies for 4 or 6 hours, you might get 1 hour.

Concerning scope size I would actually say 80mm could be a bit big, although using a Celestron 114 recently reflector they are very compact. I have seen a reasonable amount with a 70mm refractor in the last 6-8 months, but I can pick up the refractor while it is on it's mount in one hand and walk outside with it, and with 3 eyepieces in a pocket each I even have a hand spare.

Archived