Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First LRGB image: Perseus double cluster

Well, I guess this just about qualifies as a "first light" from the new Obsy. 

First the excuses:

No flats and no bias due to a combination of the local fox and a very painful dicky knee... and it was just a set of test exposures to see if the spacers for my Skywatcher coma corrector were calculated correctly... Also 70% moon.... ;)

12*60s L, 4*60s red, 4*60s green and 4*60s blue.

Processed in PI (I used the DBE and ABE to compensate for the lack of flats) and a little PS. I made a bad pixel map to eliminate the worst of the camera defects.

post-33415-0-80068400-1448492888_thumb.j

A bit noisy, but at least the coma is almost completely absent. And I did my first ever LRGB processing.

I'm happy that it's a huge step forward for me since the DSLR :)

Thanks for all the nice comments everybody!

Success! As the others have said, the star colour is excellent and there's good separation between the bright stars.

Olly

Thanks Olly. Alex is unimpressed because there's no nebulosity in the picture ;)

I'm happy for the lack of coma (I think that I'm about 0.1 mm away from the ideal corrector/sensor separation) and the tight stars. However, there are still improvements to be made: there's a slight sensor tilt; the Baader filters are most definitely NOT parfocal with the skywatcher CC in the optical train; my PA needs a drift align for longer exposures; there's backlash to be adjusted out of the mount to improve the guiding.. I could go on... :) 

Pretty good star colour. Those red stars stand out nicely. I'm intrigued about the fox!

Thanks. The fox story is here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/257337-foxes/

Thanks for all the nice comments everybody!

Thanks Olly. Alex is unimpressed because there's no nebulosity in the picture ;)

I'm happy for the lack of coma (I think that I'm about 0.1 mm away from the ideal corrector/sensor separation) and the tight stars. However, there are still improvements to be made: there's a slight sensor tilt; the Baader filters are most definitely NOT parfocal with the skywatcher CC in the optical train; my PA needs a drift align for longer exposures; there's backlash to be adjusted out of the mount to improve the guiding.. I could go on... :)

Thanks. The fox story is here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/257337-foxes/

Don't worry, so could we all! I need to sort out decent flats for the SX camera, convert to motor focus in the Taks, build a pier for the Avalon, motorize the Italian shed's roof...

:p lly

PS If you are sufficiently determined there is nebulosity in this image.  Fabian Neyer found quite a lot... http://www.starpointing.com/ccd/ngc869_ngc884.html

Surprize!

The JPEG will probably look rubbish, but I had a go at it with HLVG and noiseware... Hope you don't mind! I won't be leaving my DSLR behind for a good while yet... if at all. I bet you can't wait for some good skies to start getting the best out of your new camera and filters. This must be the worst climate in the world for stargazing!

post-35654-0-91279200-1449082757_thumb.j

One last stab at this as I finally got my calibration frames (flat in the luminance channel and bias). And this time I remembered to sprinkle a little SNCR in the green channel:

Interestingly, DBE worked a lot better when I applied it to the individual RGB and L masters.

Maybe there's a fingerprint on one of the filters and I should either do flats per channel or clean the filters.... ;)

post-33415-0-62711700-1449171506_thumb.j

It would be nice to get some more data on this...

...and not sure if I like the first one better. Less is more and all that.... :)

Archived