Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Arc lights filter help

ebdons

Hi, I live near a school which is having tall arc lights fitted to it's new carpark area, is there a filter which will remove this white glare, the lights also stay on all night which no doubt annoy my neighbours as well as me!, can't find any info on here though. all the best Tony. 

Tecnosky 80 EDT, 8" altair astro F4 newt, 8" Meade SCT UTC, 8" orion GX200 F5, SX TRIUS 825 mono + Lodestar X2 mono, EQ6 pro on custom pier, Sx usb  wheel + OAG, rigel nfocus, meade 1209 focus, EQ5, i-nova nbb-cx colour, orion G3 colour, canon 300d, vixen 103s, 127 mak, orion mini guider, altair 60 mm guider kit, roll off obs and most other things we need!

The filter you are looking for might be "The Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005"

White light is pretty much impossible to get rid of when its sitting on every frequency. The (glass) filter option is a mono CCD camera and narrowband filters (e.g. Ha, OIII)

You could talk to your neighbours and find out their issues with the lights. Then have a friendly chat with the school and explain your concerns and why its spoiling everyone's enjoyment of their properties, and any really bad issues like it shining through peoples windows and keeping them awake at night. Point out they could save money by turning them off after they are needed. I would imagine they would find it hard to justify them being needed after 10 or 11.

As I recall car parks, even if owned by the council, are considered premises and hence covered by the legislation. As a non-residential location they are expected to make adjustments that are reasonable and practical to sort the problem out. That might be light shields on the lamps to stop light going in the wrong direction, turning them off when they are not needed etc etc.

Probably worth a google on the above as I'm doing this largely from memory, and I may have got some bit slightly wrong on the law.

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply, looks like they are still working on the site at present so that explains the lights being left on, although they now switch off at 10pm thank god!  the lower lights not such a problem but they have 50ft? lights which just burn my eyes and ruin any chance of early astro viewing, so  just hope they don't put any more lights up!. all the best Tony. :smiley:

Tecnosky 80 EDT, 8" altair astro F4 newt, 8" Meade SCT UTC, 8" orion GX200 F5, SX TRIUS 825 mono + Lodestar X2 mono, EQ6 pro on custom pier, Sx usb  wheel + OAG, rigel nfocus, meade 1209 focus, EQ5, i-nova nbb-cx colour, orion G3 colour, canon 300d, vixen 102m, 127 mak, orion mini guider, altair 60 mm guider kit, roll off obs and most other things we need!

Hi, will probably speak to the school, but contactors still working so hopefully these lights will only be used for parent/teachers evenings and school end of of day times etc. all the best Tony.  A small bad pic of the rear of my garden.

post-35334-0-57311700-1448914636.jpg

Archived