SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Marin 7x 50

mdstuart

Love to try something unusual so bought these on eBay.

0e0aef64e7b3d9652bd637dc61fe9cde.jpg

Well they seem to have better coatings than my Yashica and Russian pair of bins as the objectives reflect less light.

They are well corrected with stars like points accross 80% of the fov which just beats the Yasicas.

Nice that you can focus each eye individually.

A bit big and heavy though!

Must test them in the morning on that comet![emoji3]

Mark

They look good.With the big prism housings and a 50 degree afov, they look like a good buy. A 7mm exit would be a bit much for my slightly ageing pupils but if you have the eyes and a dark site to use them it will interesting to know how they work out.

They only have bak4 prisms....I will report back after a proper star test.

I do agree that they have a large exit pupil and will not match a 10 x 50 in terms of magnitude limit....but the fov is generous which is nice for the meliotte cluster!

Update

I was wrong they are BK 7 with the little grey bits around the view.

The coatings are better than my Russian or Yashica or pentax binoculars in terms of the coatings as they reflect lights less than any of the others so that is a plus I think.

There is a little yellow and purple ca around the moon when you put the moon to the edges of the view but its not that annoying.

The view is completely sharp to 50% away from the centre and then starts to go but is still reasonable at 75% out.

They feel very well made and solid and yes I think Marin is Marine. I gather they might be a WWII design but they seem almost brand new. I suspect they are Japanese made as they are so similar to the Yashicas and have one of those quality marks on them.

Mark

Archived