SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Advice please, a new Skywatcher 250PX Flex Tube SynScan Dobsonian

I guess this has to be THE dumb question of the week, if not month.   :icon_scratch:

I took delivery of a new Skywatcher  250PX Flex Tube SynScan Dobsonian on Monday, all's well, largely. Pleasantly surprised by the Dobsonian ease of assembly, I'm disabled so rely much on my good wife to do much of the wrenching these day so a double relief. The question is, there is a ring of foam that surrounds the azimuth drive, is this to protect dirt getting into the drive or is it packing/shipping material meant to be removed before commissioning? It's stuck so neatly, its really got me wondering? 

Skywatcher owners, can you please advise  :huh:  ... many many thanks in advance  :smiley:.   

all the very best Bill

Turntable%2002_zpssobtrb2v.jpg

I left mine on the 12" flex tube dob (when I had one). It's meant to provide the "sticktion" necessary to hold the azimuth in place after a slew. I was pretty sure it's not packaging material. Hth :)

Thanks Brant, I'm extremely grateful & very much obliged. :smiley:

all the very best Bill

Thanks Brant, I'm extremely grateful & very much obliged. :smiley:

all the very best Bill

I've learnt so much in a relatively short time, almost wholly down to the experienced & wise people of this forum,  your all a godsend   :smiley: utmost respect & gratitude to you all,.  :cool:

thank you, thank you, all the very best Bill

I've learnt so much in a relatively short time, almost wholly down to the experienced & wise people of this forum, your all a godsend :smiley: utmost respect & gratitude to you all,. :cool:

thank you, thank you, all the very best Bill

Won't be long before you'll be answering others' queries, Bill.

I've just recently received my SW 300p goto and was wondering about this foam ring myself. I found the azimuth movement is very stiff when moved by hand compared to the altitude movement, so was about to rip out this foam ring when I noticed it was secured with glue to the bottom plate. I guess it is there for a reason...maybe to make the azimuth movement stiffer and reduce backlash?

I've just recently received my SW 300p goto and was wondering about this foam ring myself. I found the azimuth movement is very stiff when moved by hand compared to the altitude movement, so was about to rip out this foam ring when I noticed it was secured with glue to the bottom plate. I guess it is there for a reason...maybe to make the azimuth movement stiffer and reduce backlash?

Ah, may be able to give a definitive answer, i emailed Optical Vision, I think they are the UK importers for the Skywatcher range, perhaps someone with much more knowledge can either confirm or correct me? I've just accessed their reply email ...............

"The white foam should not be removed and left in situ."

I also asked about the 'battery pack that takes D batteries' that's mentioned in the first paragraph on the top of page 8 of the construction & use manual............

"There is not a battery pack supplied (they were supplied with the previous mode auto-tracking Dobs and must be a remnant of that manual).

A Power Tank or a regulated power supply would be needed to power the mount"

The above is particularly interesting as i was advised to remove the foam by the retailer from whom I bought the Skywatcher, but it just 'niggled' me it seem pretty well fitted just to be packing? Hence, asking here on the SGL, so goes to prove the good people of the forum know best! thanks Brant :cool:   :smiley: . 

I hope this helps others as its helped me, thanks again guys.

Great to hear you got an answer from OVL, Bill. I was also wondering about the battery pack mentioned in the manual. I bought a Halfords Power Pack that has two 12v sockets plus a coiled lighter socket extension lead ( the power pack is heavy, so has to be on the ground) and that does the job.

Great to hear you got an answer from OVL, Bill. I was also wondering about the battery pack mentioned in the manual. I bought a Halfords Power Pack that has two 12v sockets plus a coiled lighter socket extension lead ( the power pack is heavy, so has to be on the ground) and that does the job.

Thank you  :smiley:  I just been over to the Halfords web site, was it the Phaze 4-in-1 Jump Starter [£39] you went for Ceramus? It looks a good deal & like the idea it has a usb outlet, it sounds ideal, have you used it in anger, if so, are you happy with it? 

all the very best Bill

Archived