Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Skymax 102 SynScan AZ GOTO

Hi all,

thinking of making the plunge and buying my first ever telescope & can get a very good deal on a Skywatcher Skymax 102 SynScan AZ GOTO.

Is this scope a good beginner product?

I am a complete novice & as most, on a budget.

I dabble in astrophotography also & would I need extra bits to use this scope for that?

Photography imaging of the Moon and planets would be possible with either mount as you can take a video for theses.

Stars and other items are more tricky as you want longer exposures to be able to capture them and the altaz mount tracks by left right up down movements which do not take the earth's rotation into account so the exposure is better than on a static mount but still not very long before objects start trailing. Really depends what you expectations are as to whether it will be enough for you.

Photography imaging of the Moon and planets would be possible with either mount as you can take a video for theses.

Stars and other items are more tricky as you want longer exposures to be able to capture them and the altaz mount tracks by left right up down movements which do not take the earth's rotation into account so the exposure is better than on a static mount but still not very long before objects start trailing. Really depends what you expectations are as to whether it will be enough for you.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the Skywatcher has since sold so I wasn't quite quick enough there & ive gone off the Astromaster after many negative reviews of the finder.

I'll keep looking

Sent from my 6+ using Tapatalk

My advice is what are you really after as the skymax102 is a compact scope so portability is a plus for it as it can be mounted on a good camera tripod. If your after tracking etc for photographic work then many here will tell you that an equatorial mount which is motorised is a must. For the moon and brighter objects that is not completely true but for deep space objects it is a requirement.

Astorophotograhy however raises even bigger cost issues the biggest one being a mount capable of taking a scope and your camera. I know how frustrating that can beas I am saving like mad for a heavy duty mount capable of taking my camera and scope with the ability to track, until then I have to be prepared to get decent shots of the moon and lots of star trailling photos. I believe some people have managed with cheaper alt az motorised mounts with smaller scopes with relatively good results but they are almost as rare as hens teeth.

Keep you eyes peeled and trawl the ads in Astrobuysell uk you can sometimes get a bargain.

I know you get great skies down in the South West so wish you all the best.

My advice is what are you really after as the skymax102 is a compact scope so portability is a plus for it as it can be mounted on a good camera tripod. If your after tracking etc for photographic work then many here will tell you that an equatorial mount which is motorised is a must. For the moon and brighter objects that is not completely true but for deep space objects it is a requirement.

Astorophotograhy however raises even bigger cost issues the biggest one being a mount capable of taking a scope and your camera. I know how frustrating that can beas I am saving like mad for a heavy duty mount capable of taking my camera and scope with the ability to track, until then I have to be prepared to get decent shots of the moon and lots of star trailling photos. I believe some people have managed with cheaper alt az motorised mounts with smaller scopes with relatively good results but they are almost as rare as hens teeth.

Keep you eyes peeled and trawl the ads in Astrobuysell uk you can sometimes get a bargain.

I know you get great skies down in the South West so wish you all the best.

Thank you very much for your reply, food for thought.

Sent from my 6+ using Tapatalk

Archived