SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from moonlit Gosport Hampshire

The storm fisherman

Welcome my name is Paul and I have been member of his very friendly and informative forum for the last 6 months. but it has taken up till now to put a post on the board as I wanted to make sure I was happy with my self and to have enough knowledge so as to make a fool of myself as I can be a bit shy .

I am new to this wonderful hobby and I am still learning but at least I have not jumped in and purchased a scope yet and that's even after 6 months  of chopping and changing my mind but I am getting closer to a decision now on getting the right scope and mount for me,my circumstances and budget as it has to be portable.

I am quite lucky here as I live within a 2 minute walk of my local park/playing fields (Privett park) and although it is surrounded by houses the street lamps outside the park have just been replaced with the new type and they are dimmed down after midnight when most the lights in houses are turned out making it a good reasonable suburban dark site but is open space and is open all day and night.

My current set up is an Orion 15 x 70 binoculars, a Nikon D5200 with a Tamron 11-28 wide field lens and a Tamron 18-300mm lens, Nano tracker for the Dslr and various tripods. 

I hope to get in the near future an Explore Scientific ED triple APO 80mm scope + SCT SCOPE and an HEQ5 Tripod to do some Astro-photography with, but that’s for later down the line. And Because I have no car I only have a 125cc moped with some storage space so my gear has to be light weight and potable.

Paul

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. Never worry about asking a daft question as we've all been there (....I most definitely have) and that's how we learn and improve so as to pass it on down the line. There is a lot of help waiting for you so don't hesitate to pop a question or two under the relevant section and the suggestions will come rolling in.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi Paul. Welcome. It's quite surprising what you can see with 15 x70 binos, especially in a good dark area where street lamps don't interrupt or spoil the views as much. Wise decision not to just jump start in with a scope really. Learning the sky first is always a plus. There are a lot of things to see in the night sky, so the main thing is to pace yourself and truly observe objects, rather than just ticking a box and moving onto the nest object. Sounds like your doing well so far! :)

Hi Paul and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us. Remember none of us were born knowing any of this stuff, so we've all been where you are now - If you have any questions then just shout as the forum is full of helpful and friendly folks.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Welcome to the forum, and to a very enjoyable hobby. Ask as many daft questions as you can. It's a good way of learning, and there will no doubt be many other folks who will be glad you asked it because they didn't know the answer either. That probably includes me...

:-)

Thank you all for the warm welcomes  :smiley:

I am getting itchy feet to get out and do some viewing but between the bike breaking down and requiring a £500 engine rebuild and the weather conspiring to keep me indoors I think this new hobby needs the patience of Job! But at least I can do all the theory stuff in the down time and practice for the when time comes to get out and do some real observing.

I live on smith st and go past you every night as I work ln Rowner at the community centre

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

i know the area its behind whitworth road 

keep an eye out  for me on clear evenings as i will be observing  in privett park just round the corner from my house  .it is not a too bad site but after midnight it  gets a whole lot darker.

Archived