SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Some Nebulae in H Alpha

Astrojedi

Thanks Alex, Rob and laudropb.

You can find more H Alpha captures using the Ultrastar mono in my album on SGL: http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/album/4031-eaa-nebulae-in-h-alpha-with-ultrastar-mono/

Those are very nice.  I am impressed by how flat the fields are given your FL (I took the liberty of throwing one of your images at Astrometry.net and it said you are imaging at 698 mm effective).  Are you using a standard c8 with one of the discontinued "super made in Japan" Meade 0.33X reducers?

Correct,  C8 with my JP Meade 3.3. The aberrations are there but much less in H Alpha.

Not sure why but my theory is that the H Alpha wavelength is probably treated better by this FR. All FRs are designed/tested for maximum perf around certain wavelengths. I think I got lucky with this one.

Hi

First time I've come across IC410 - you really can see the tadpoles - although I think they look more like the giant space worm from Starwars!!

Fantastic results - keep em coming.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Did not think of that. It is amazing the shapes human imagination sees in these clouds of dust.

Correct,  C8 with my JP Meade 3.3. The aberrations are there but much less in H Alpha.

Not sure why but my theory is that the H Alpha wavelength is probably treated better by this FR. All FRs are designed/tested for maximum perf around certain wavelengths. I think I got lucky with this one.

Hmmm - makes sense as a possibility. Any refractive system is going to have at best one wavelenth that it is optimal for. It would be interesting to test your theory by capturing some images through an O III filter, or the blue from and RGB set, and see if it's less optimal at that wavelength.

Archived