Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR software for astro!

Gasman

Hi chaps

Since getting my new DSLR I`ve been looking round for some software to use with it at the scope and one of the SGL guys recommended this excellent package called `digicamcontrol` which is currently at version 1.3.48 beta and it has a button specifically for astro which seems to have a lot (not all!) of the functions that we astronomers might need for taking images at night. The script function looks useful too.

I`m still waiting for my Nikon scope adaptor so only tried it inside but it does look the business.

post-15973-0-39078800-1447792566_thumb.p

Oh and its free!

cheers

Steve

http://digicamcontrol.com/

I use DCC with my Nikon (APT for my Canon). and very much like it. As my D3100 doesn't support Bulb via USB, I made an small interface from RS232 to the NIkon remote connector. DCC is able to access the RS232 interface and allows me to do exposures >30s. Very nifty.

I use DCC with my Nikon (APT for my Canon). and very much like it. As my D3100 doesn't support Bulb via USB, I made an small interface from RS232 to the NIkon remote connector. DCC is able to access the RS232 interface and allows me to do exposures >30s. Very nifty.

I couldn't be asked to do all of that with my D3100 so bought a second hand canon instead :p Nikon will be a ever so loved for the daytime photography and Canon to be my main astro DSLR.

Can't see the need for DSLR control software. I have an intervalometer for all that......

Good point and something I`m looking at also but when taking a load of flats,bias,darks etc you can`t really name them and save them to a specific folder or can you?.

Steve

Ps I suppose you can thinking about it in the camera itself Doh!

Well,

Can't see the need for DSLR control software. I have an intervalometer for all that......

Well, depending on the camera you might just use Magic Lantern and you will not even need an intervalometer. But Most DSLR software allow you to do much more that that. This ranges from being able to configure series with different exposure times (think M31 or M42) ISO settings. APT for example can help you focusing utilizing live view over USB using various methods (e.g. FWHM, Bhatinov Mask) an in combination with Astrotortilla it helps you find and frame an object exactly, even if it not visible visually. And this is just a small set of functionality.

Of course, that might not appeal to you and you probably do things differently, but those are handy and convient helpers, that can provide much more than your "all that".

Archived