Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

im pretty sad right now

keiwein1

so yesterday i was looking for andromeda on my telescope..... first of all my telescope didnt align properly so i couldnt use that and i also couldnt find eitherway..... well anyway i brought a pair of low power binoculars out with me adn i pointed toward a random bright star.... i moved a little bit to the left and there it was......... it was taunting me LOL.... anyway i could find it ony my telescope and i need some help... any helpful tips finding andromeda after u found cassieopia and traced it down? thx in advance!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M31 was one of those elusive objects, until I saw it for the first time.

After that it seemed to take no finding, so you may be there.

Binos are definitely the best way to locate the galaxy. Afterwards, when you more familiar with the 'skymarks' pointing to the location, use a scope.

Even then, keep the magnification low.

Hope this helps.

That PDF is a good map. I use the narrower V of the W in Cassiopeia to point me down to Mirach, get that in the Scope - it's very bright so should be obvious, and work my way up through the other 2 bright stars. I missed it the first couple of times, and even when I first found it, it was a case of wondering if that was it - it doesn't look as big under light polluted skies, you will probably only be able to see the bright core.

I had to hop down to M33 like 100 times before I actually saw it lol.

Sumorian, where is the screengrab from out of interest?

Matt.

I can't remember Matt, I think I managed to find it on t'internet somewhere, just a Google search for M31 star hop or similar

I had to hop down to M33 like 100 times before I actually saw it lol.

Sumorian, where is the screengrab from out of interest?

Matt.

I can't remember Matt, I think I managed to find it on t'internet somewhere, just a Google search for M31 star hop or similar

Good advice from those that have replied.  :icon_salut:

Give it a few billion years* you will not need a scope to see it.  :evil6:

* estimates vary between 2,000,000,000,000 to 4,000,000,000,000 years [+/-]  :shocked: from now!

Route 3 for me... I'm getting out of here!

Good advice from those that have replied.  :icon_salut:

Give it a few billion years* you will not need a scope to see it.  :evil6:

* estimates vary between 2,000,000,000,000 to 4,000,000,000,000 years [+/-]  :shocked: from now!

Better get extra cover on the house insurance then! Hehe! ;)

Good advice from those that have replied. :icon_salut:

Give it a few billion years* you will not need a scope to see it. :evil6:

* estimates vary between 2,000,000,000,000 to 4,000,000,000,000 years [+/-] :shocked: from now!

Isn't it even sooner than that Phil? You are assuming old style UK billions, not the more usual US 'thousand million'. Don't get caught unprepared [emoji6][emoji6][emoji51]

I tend to go off of the Great Square of Pegasis. If you find the 'top left' corner star, then its 2 stars off of it and up 2 stars and a bit. Have a look at this page to see what I mean (hopefully)

http://www.solarius.net/assets/finder_charts/messier_31.pdf

Matt.

That's how I do it as well. I don't from Cass.

Olly

Archived