Narrowband

Star Discovery 150P or Explorer 130P goto scopes?

I currently own a Heritage 130p and i really enjoy using it, i have had it for a year now and i am considering moving to a scope with goto and tracking to make life easier, objects do whizz across the eyepiece at high mag!.

I am considering the  Sky-Watcher Star Discovery 150P or the Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO scopes from FLO.

I would prefer the Star Discovery 150P because of the bigger aperture and the newer controller but i see that it does not have the normal collimation screws because it is "factory collimated" for life, surely there must be some way of tweaking it in case it does drift out a bit, is this easy to do, can anybody that ownes one post pics? the spider is plastic and looks a bit chunky too & i think the focuser is plastic as well all done to keep the cost of the scope down.

Is the Explorer 130p the better quality scope to go for even though the aperture is slightly smaller, opinions and experiences please.

Nick in Ire.

Nick I can answer a few questions. He spider is a bit chunky compared to the very things ones on the 130p but not as big as photos make them appear. The focuser is the same as on my 130p so I am used to it. As for collimation i have not even tried to find out if it's possible on the primary. I used my laser collocation tool and it was spot on when delivered. The secondary is adjustable.

The Freedom Find is just brilliant and make the scope a joy to use. Also you can use the scope without switching on the power if you want.

I owned a 130p on eq2 mount before this and it is a defiantly a step forward.

If you enjoyed the Heritage 130, you would enjoy the bigger apertures provided from a 150P or a 200P Skyliner. May even save afew £s.

You will maintain the same simplicity in use, that the Heritage provided. You can slow the "wizz speed" by using a wider field of view eyepiece. I use 375x on the Moon, and can track smoothly, it just takes practice. The larger apertures will allow you to see more, under the right conditions, and no headache every time you set up your new GoTo system, that requires polar alignment, power supplies, and other various tweaks and adjustments to keep the focuser aligned, and in a suitable podition?

Why swap your 130 for a GoTo 130, there is no gain in performance, but additional setting up will be required?

GoTo and tracking maybe essential for photography, keep it simple for visual!

I have only had 1 session using the scope due to the bad weather we have been having, what I can tell you is the go-to was spot on. I used the brightest star option for alignment, you select a star from a list in the goto make sure it's bang in the centre. The goto then gives a list of stars for the second alignment point, when selected the scope slews automatically to this star - you make sure this star is bang in the center and away you go. All the objects I selected were within the 32mm eyepiece, most were spot on. In the one 3 hour session I have had I looked at more objects in this one session than several sessions put together.

This is my first goto and I have to say in just one session it has changed the way I see this hobby. Before it was quite frustrating trying to find objects, you would locate the point in the sky then move the scope around until you located the object, this movement ment you were never quite sure you were looking at the correct object. Now I know I have seen M52 or M49.

Do I see this as a big step up from a 130, I can't tell with out having both side by side. What I do know is the views have not disappointed with the moon being as stunning as ever with a 6mm planetary eyepiece.

Archived