SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Star aligning with synthetic star field - Pixinsight problem

Hi guys!

Trying to make a mosaic, I saw a thread with tips on registering all the images to a generated star field in Pixinsight and then integrating the whole lot.

I´ve been wrestling Pixinsight all night trying to get this right but no matter what I do I can´t get StarAlignment to do it. I´ve generated a star field with the CatalogStarGenerator script and the images I´m trying to register are calibrated and debayered DSLR subs. How do I fix this?

It just keeps trying and trying like this:

"...* Distortion correction: Iteration 1 of 250

Matching stars: done

2315 putative star pair matches.

Performing RANSAC: done

* Previous attempt failed - this is try #24

useScaleDifferences=false

* Reference image: Limiting to 8000 brightest stars.

* Target image: Limiting to 8000 brightest stars.

* Distortion correction: Iteration 1 of 250

2504 putative star pair matches.

* Previous attempt failed - this is try #25

useScaleDifferences=true

* Reference image: Limiting to 12000 brightest stars.

* Target image: Limiting to 12000 brightest stars.

* Distortion correction: Iteration 1 of 250

3767 putative star pair matches.

* Previous attempt failed - this is try #26

useScaleDifferences=false

* Reference image: Limiting to 12000 brightest stars.

* Target image: Limiting to 12000 brightest stars.

* Distortion correction: Iteration 1 of 250..."

• 2 weeks later...

Going to need some more detail to answer this one. Can you upload one of the DSLR frames (with the centre coordinates), the generated star field and a process icon for ImageRegistration with your settings.

Andrew

Here are the files, hope I got it right...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/scdggkuzkz9lkfl/AAAb-XKj2w6D_pROG92anSvNa?dl=0

What I want to do is to register all the separate subs for a mosaic and then do the integration for the total mosaic. I´ve seen it done. The black areas of the subs registered to the starfield are rejected in the integration.

This is a great idea but getting it to work...???

Well, I guess that's at least half of the fun :laugh:

I've had a few attempts tonight and haven't succeeded in registering the image with the synthetic star field yet which is odd (this is using the cr2 file. What's the other one?). One this I did notice when I solved your image was that the rotation angle was -66 degrees. I generated a new star field with this value but no success, also tried a much larger FWHM and no noise.

A few more things to try yet!

Andrew

I generated another star field the same size as the light frame and this registers with default settings. Interestingly, there are a couple of bright stars in the catalog that don't appear in the image. Before you generate the star field, plate solve the light frame and then use the Copy button on the star field script to copy the parameters from the light frame.

Next, I tried repeating this process but this time increased the image size for the catalog star field to 8000 x 8000. The image fails to register as before.

Repeating this process with 6000 x 6000 also failed but 4000 x 4000 successfully registered. It could be that there's a maximum ratio between the images that beyond which they won't register. Maybe worth a question on the PixInsight forum.

Andrew

Archived