SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Man on the Moon Telescope.

FLO

We have jumped on the bandwagon  :blush:

The John Lewis Man on the Moon advert showing a young girl looking through a Celestron Astromaster LT60-AZ telescope has pulled at the nation's heartstrings and increased demand for an affordable telescope for Christmas. 

Kids want a telescope that 'looks' like a telescope, it should have a long tube with a lens at the front and an eyepiece at the rear and be mounted on three legs. The Celestron LT60-AZ fits the bill perfectly and, considering it's low price, is surprisingly good - the tube is metal, the optics are coated, the long focal-ratio reduces aberrations and the tripod/mount is sturdy and easy to use. 

John Lewis offer the Astromaster LT60-AZ plus a 'Moon Filter and 175x Eyepiece' for £99.95 but we don't think the Moon filter is necessary and 175x magnification is almost certainly higher than the optics can support (Celestron quote 142x maximum useful magnification) so we are are offering the Astromaster Cosmos LT60-AZ with the original 35x & 70x eyepieces at a much more affordable £59.
For those who want to push the magnification to 140x we are also offering it bundled with a Celestron 2x barlow at £77 but our advice is to buy it without. The standard 35x & 70x magnifications suit the telescope well and will show Jupiter and a number of it's moons, Saturn with it's rings and the Moon's deep craters and dark flat plains. At only £59 it is hard to think of a better telescope for Christmas. 
UPDATE: We have sold out of the Celestron Cosmos LT-60-AZ but can offer the more advanced Astromaster 70EQ at £98, which has a larger objective (more light gathering ability) and a more advanced GEQ mount (you can easily track targets as they move across the sky). 
22073_Cosmos_60_AZ_Telescope_2.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was 18 when I bought a 60mm Astral refractor from Dixon's, not exactly a kid, but that humble little scope was all that was needed to fan the flames of enthusiasm. You can bet this 60mm scope will have better eyepieces than my Astral and will thrill any youngster with views of the moon and planets. It would make a cracking gift for any youngster. It's just a shame its not mounted on a altaz fork.

Mike

I forgot to say, we have sourced lot's of these to achieve this low price but when they are sold it is unlikely we will restock until the following Christmas (the demand for starter scopes is very high now but drops rapidly after Christmas).

It is an advertising cliche but these really are a 'special purchase' and 'limited availability'. 

Steve

Perhaps you should include the FOV simulator on the page on your website, Steve, to show {with a good deal of poetic license} what size the man in the moon would be at each of those magnifications :lol:

t's incredible we can buy such an intrument for 59 quid! It's a starter scope that most astronomers would dismiss immediately, but let's not forget that it still gives pretty amazing images and is definitely more than enough to spark the interest, not only when it comes to kids!

t's incredible we can buy such an intrument for 59 quid! It's a starter scope that most astronomers would dismiss immediately, but let's not forget that it still gives pretty amazing images and is definitely more than enough to spark the interest, not only when it comes to kids!

Absolutely! I have plenty of fun with my 60mm Skylight refractor when I get the chance. Small fracs can be pretty decent for solar, lunar, and easy/moderate double stars, plus not too shabby on the old bright planets considering :)

Always enjoyed using my 60mm refractor on camera tripod and it has now been handed down to my son. Fantastic scope to be straight out observing with the minimum off fuss and for that reason was one of my most used scopes at one time. The only thing that I feel let's down the Astromaster series of scopes is that terrible finder. I have some experience using all different manner of finder scopes but the red dot finder on the Astromaster range can really test your enthusiasm to find night sky objects. Why Celestron continue to use this design baffles me ?!?!?!

Archived