Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where are the Taurids?

After reading that the Taurid meteor shower is particularly active this year, famously with some big fireballs, last night's clear sky prompted me to spend 5 hours watching and imaging with 8 mm Samyang lens. I also read that the dynamics of the shower means that it as active in the evening as the morning.

So, after 5 hours how many meteors did I see? None, Zero. Nil. Rien. Nada.

Are many people seeing any?

This is why I don't usually bother with the Taurids. Generally the ZHR is predicted to be around 10 and that's with the radiant at the zenith and a limiting magnitude of 6, neither of which apply where I am. The reports of increased activity this year did catch my interest but I have not had a clear night to go have a look. Sounds like I am not missing much :grin:

Edit: Just checked on www.imo.net (bottom of page 16) and the ZHR predicted was 5!

I must have been lucky.  I saw 3 beauties on Friday night between 8pm and 8:20pm.  Similar trajectories from Taurus to Perseus.  They were slower moving than the usual culprits but glowed quite brightly with good trails that persisted for longer than normal.  I must admit I was out for a couple of hours last night and saw nothing.

Out last Sunday the 1st with some of our group and we all saw quite a lot, some crackers - nice bright slowing moving leaving trails, all within a few hours before midnight. However on Friday night the 6th a couple of us were out well after 1am and they were few and far between, all fainter and less spectacular.

I'm hoping the Geminids next month put on a better show.

I saw a nice bright trail zip across the sky last night while having a quick look at Orion. I suppose in retrospect, it came exactly from Taurus. Dumb luck strikes again I suppose. If it's of any consolation, this particular one was nice, but hardly of once in a lifetime awesomeness.

Archived