SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Back having another go at M31

Everyone loves M31! It was the first galaxy I had a go at last year, back with my EQ3-2, so I keep going back to see if I can improve - and I am getting there.

Last night I went out regardless of the fireworks and moon as it was the first clear night I had been able to take advantage of since beginning of October and was getting wtihdrawals!

1 minute short of 3 Hours of 210 second exposures with DARKS/FLATS/BIAS.

Compared to my original efforts, it really shows just how important data is, and the amount of it. I have tripled the data from my first goes, and it really does make a difference. Still got a lot to learn with processing, but you can also make great strides in that area with better data - that really does make it easier! And I am pretty sure there is still a lot of data to pull out of the image.... have purchased Gradient XT and Noel's Actions, and playing with HLVG...so getting better all the time.

Thanks to everyone that has been helping along the way!

Still won't win any awards, but I was quite proud!

post-35662-0-31801500-1446413888_thumb.j

post-35662-0-09902500-1446414074_thumb.j

Oh, and the other thing I learned last night was that it is all fine and dandy building a large dewshield out of a yoga mat for your imaging scope, to keep it nice and dew free (which it does) - but don't forget the guide scope... took me a while to work out why the guiding got progressivley poorer during the session....until I was packing up and saw the lens....

Clear skies everyone!

Hi, I too have recently been imaging M31. Yours is a very beautiful image.  I need to grab more data as my last attempt was only 1.5 hours (ish) Good to see what 3 hours can produce.  Thanks for posting!

Yeah, keep pushing for more! Hopefully plenty of clearer and longer dark nights will help. My first efforts were around the 1 to 1.5 hour mark and, while they aren't masterpieces, you can still pull data out, but it is amazing how much more is available when you push it just that bit further. Looking forward to some darker nights (go away moon!) so I can try some longer exposures too....thinking about he histograms a lot more now as well, and that seems to help - much better to go for the right length of exposure, rather than the longest!

My images are still noisy, but I have a better "flat" field than older efforts....so just have to keep trying!

Good luck with yours!

Mark

Thanks Olly. Will need to sort out my dithering! I know APT is set to dither, but I have never played around with those settings, so will have a look before my next garden adventure.....which doesn't look like being this week...

That's inspired me to get out tonight (if the fog clears) and have a go at M31, thank you.

Definitely have a go! It's nice and bright, easy to find and photograph....getting it "right" is another matter, but you can usually get something out of it!

Good luck!

I was updated my blog last night and realised my last "proper" attempt at M31 was a year ago, and I thought I would upload it for the fun of it....and also so you can see the comparison to what I was really chuffed with last year and the progress that can be made even wtih all the cloud we have in the UK!

post-35662-0-44486900-1446727020.jpg

So stick at it - it might be hard going, difficult and, at times, downright frustrating and infuriating, but it is worth it! If I can do, then anyone can.

I can't remember the full details, but I think it was probably no more than an hour's worth of 90 second subs as the very most.

Very nice images, I went for a go of M31 last night, I am using my 150p eq 3-2 and motors on my pier, I took 32 30 sec exposures at 1600 and could only get the core showing up, would to say longer exposure would be better to bring out the out parts of the galaxy? Great shots though!

Cheers!

The longer the better really, depending on you kit and conditions of course. If you can get more, longer LIGHTS you'll find you get more out of it. I used to be okay getting 90s exposures on my old EQ3-2 and I have seen people go further. If you align carefully you might get to 2 minutes, possibly a little longer.

Good luck!

Archived