Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi!

Kollontai

Hi folks

I'm a new addition to the forum from Glasgow, Scotland. Joined to get as much information on astrophotography as I can. I'm a relative newb when it comes to photography of any sort but I've a keen interest in astronomy and popularised science.

I'm hoping to get info specifically on beginners DSLRs that would be good for astrophotography and won't break the bank. Plus, the forum will be great to learn how to use it the best I can.

Looking forward to posting :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL. I have used a fairly cheap second-hand Canon EOS 450D, modified for deep-sky imaging. These come up second-hand quite often (as do 1100Ds, also great) for a modest sum.

Those sound ideal. I've been looking at those models but wasn't sure if they were best suited or value for money. Where could I scout out the second-hand ones?

Hello and welcome.  Hello Leo82.   Welcome to SGL.  I'm from Western New York (Buffalo area) USA.  I started out with a Canon 1100d that I bought used for $250 (dollars.)  You can find used cameras that are like new condition very reasonably.  I bought an 80mm  Refractor and took some beautiful pictures of the moon by attaching the DSLR.  There is a lot you can observe with a little scope like that too.  I used that scope and camera for over a year and learned a lot before buying more equipment.  Lately, I have been taking just my DSLR out to take wide angle views of the sky,  You can have a lot of fun with just the camera and the dark sky too!   I picked up a lot of great information and advice here at SGL.  So ask away and lots of experienced guys will give advice and suggestions for equipment, astro-books and charts, software and how-to.  So much to learn but very enjoyable hobby.  

Hello and welcome.  Hello Leo82.   Welcome to SGL.  I'm from Western New York (Buffalo area) USA.  I started out with a Canon 1100d that I bought used for $250 (dollars.)  You can find used cameras that are like new condition very reasonably.  I bought an 80mm  Refractor and took some beautiful pictures of the moon by attaching the DSLR.  There is a lot you can observe with a little scope like that too.  I used that scope and camera for over a year and learned a lot before buying more equipment.  Lately, I have been taking just my DSLR out to take wide angle views of the sky,  You can have a lot of fun with just the camera and the dark sky too!   I picked up a lot of great information and advice here at SGL.  So ask away and lots of experienced guys will give advice and suggestions for equipment, astro-books and charts, software and how-to.  So much to learn but very enjoyable hobby.  

Thanks for the information Tim. I'm curious about the scopes as I wouldn't mind getting into deep sky stuff eventually  :grin:

I think I'm going to get a 100D. It's priced at £332 and seems to be a decent camera to start with. The fact it will be store bought means I shouldn't need to worry about any damage and I have the peace of mind knowing its under warranty.

Archived