SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Some wide field shots from the Kielder Star Party Oct 2015

We were blessed with several clear nights at the Kielder Star Camp last weekend so I got a chance to get some images, still working on the timelapses (very time consuming) but here's some standalone pics...

A row of scopes at Kielder on the Thursday night...

gallery_649_3998_10054913.jpg

Me sorting out some mount problems...

gallery_649_3998_1534922.jpg

Another row of scopes at Kielder - in order there's my setup, John's (focaldepth), Kev and Lynn from Sunderland AS, then more from Sunderland behind them...

gallery_649_3998_3503825.jpg

Venus, Jupiter and Mars rising over the campsite... yep, that's frost on the bridge...

gallery_649_3998_10761037.jpg

Venus, Jupiter and Mars rising over the campsite... still a fair number of people up at 5:30am..

gallery_649_3998_3288937.jpg

Orion through a modded 650D - I'm quite chuffed to have gotten Barnards Loop...

gallery_649_3998_7159099.jpg

A closer view o the guys from Sunderland AS's imaging 'mission control'...

gallery_649_3998_11223632.jpg

More scopes!!!

gallery_649_3998_6674679.jpg

Another Orion - Barnards Loop didn't show up so well but some mist in the air and a smidgeon of condensation on my lens highlights the main stars nicely...

gallery_649_3998_11450716.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them - the star camp was fantastic - whoever organised the weather deserves a medal!!

James

Yes it was me haha it was like 5am or some other even later bleary eyed and possibly drunk time in the morning.   If it was earlier I may have introduced myself rather than let you wonder who the beared man wearing all black standing behind you in a field was :-)

Some of the red head torches were rather bright and dazzling some of them reminding me of floodlights at a stadium.  They may be red but they need to be dim too!

Still a bit of LP, even at Keilder. Is there no escape?

Kielder's pretty dark, the camera always makes things look worse than they are but yes, there's a little LP towards the south east from Newcastle and surrounds, a wee bit to the north west from Hawick and … well, that's about it… if the air's dry and clear this LP isn't really noticeable and Kielder is still the only place in the UK I've visually picked up the zodiacal light (back in March in the evening).

I know what you mean though, it makes you wonder just how far you have to go to escape it altogether!! To my 'amusement' I found that La Palma in the Canaries was seriously dark but was so dark that light pollution from Tenerife some 70 odd miles away was showing up in my pictures!

James

Great set of images James, what suprised me is how many scopes are used on tripods with the legs extended I like to be a couple of foot at most off the ground.

Alan

Problem is that you'd end up with lots of red lights in your scope - I did have one of my camera's down low to get some shots of Orion with my mount and scope in the foreground doing other stuff but unfortunately a couple of lads came up and shone a red torch on it and asked each other whether it was doing anything... no real harm done though...

Also, anyone doing visual stuff may want the scopes up higher... I know what you mean though, I instinctively prefer my setups to be lower down..

James

Kielder's pretty dark, the camera always makes things look worse than they are but yes, there's a little LP towards the south east from Newcastle and surrounds, a wee bit to the north west from Hawick and … well, that's about it… if the air's dry and clear this LP isn't really noticeable and Kielder is still the only place in the UK I've visually picked up the zodiacal light (back in March in the evening).

I know what you mean though, it makes you wonder just how far you have to go to escape it altogether!! To my 'amusement' I found that La Palma in the Canaries was seriously dark but was so dark that light pollution from Tenerife some 70 odd miles away was showing up in my pictures!

James

I've heard you need to be at least 80-100 miles away from a city to be free of it's light dome.

Nice widefield images James. I wish I could have made Keilder this Autumn, of course it was clear just my luck, I plan to be there in the Spring.

It does not take long for LP to show up on your astrophotos, even under the darkest of skies Ive ever witnessed in Namibia, 80 miles as the crow flies under superb transparency the camera picked up a slight light dome of Windhoek, Visually I was not complaining

post-111-0-54741600-1445591145_thumb.jpg

I had noticed you weren't there this time.. That's a nice image Mark - that trip to Namibia must have been quite something :)  The zodiacal light (?) is so bright in that shot ...

I'm not sure if I can make the spring one next year as it's the weekend before the SGL one - I can't believe I'll be allowed two star parties in a fortnight...

James

Archived