Narrowband

DIY Flocking?

Gutross

ive looked at pricing of flocking sheets and those are a bit pricy.  but i have a friend who is a woodworker and ive seen him flock a few of his projects.   he has a really deep black flocking powder,

the question is would spray adhesive  such as a 3M spray and that sort of flocking be effective?  it would have to be more effictive than the matte finish currently in the telescope right?

The stuff FLO stock is also available as D-C-FIX Black Velour from Wilko (who being a bigger operation are able to offer it at a slightly cheaper price (£5) and may have a local store near you).

blackboard paint is also handy for blackening the bits you can't stick the D-C-Fix to.

btw, I'm guessing the OP is referring to importing protoboard flocking which is pricey.

I'd be quite wary of the loose flocking powder contaminating optical surfaces - I'd certainly advise a little testing first.    I have flocked three newtonian scopes with the DC-Fix, which does shed a few fibres but is reasonably stable after a good vacuum.    Simon's link and recommendation looks a pretty good price for 5m x 0.625m.

The stuff FLO stock is also available as D-C-FIX Black Velour from Wilko (who being a bigger operation are able to offer it at a slightly cheaper price (£5) and may have a local store near you).

blackboard paint is also handy for blackening the bits you can't stick the D-C-Fix to.

btw, I'm guessing the OP is referring to importing protoboard flocking which is pricey.

I agree with Joseki.  I've used this from Wilko and found it to do a good job. 

I used self adhesive felt from Hobbycraft, comes in A4 sized sheets so its not too big a piece to work with and its easily cut to size with scissors. I also flocked the edge of my secondary with the felt - it easily stretched round the shape and the excess trimmed off with the scissors. Looks neat too.

Plus one for this. I just did the secondary end and focus tube of my relectors

• 4 weeks later...

Archived