Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie here :)

Starlord87

Hi all im geraint (gez) from south wales 28 years old , im picking up my first telescope tomorrow and cant wait to start using it to explore astronomy more :) im getting a used astromaster 130eq :) i know there are alot of mixed reviews on this scope but i feel its a decent one for me to start off with and its at a great price too:) look forward to sharinng my experiences with you all on here. Cheers all.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hiya gez,

i also purchased the same scope as you but the seller of mine did not give me chance to check out the scope properly and due to me not being hesitant and saying that i am checking it before purchasing it turned out my scope that i had just brought was broke when i got it home, so just a heads up as i noticed it was the same scope as me as to check it properly as you don't want to do the same as me.... :rolleyes: 

Darren. 

Thanks yeah i will defo check the scope first but being new to this im not sure il be able to tell if anything is broken, i have seen pictures and it all looks in good nick :) i guess checking the mirror is the most important bit :)

Oh that doesnt sound good, im no expert but i have read that sometimes if the scope is left inside then taken outside it needs time to adjust to the different air and temperatures, possibly this may be the reason you are seeing blurry images?

Hi Gez and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and hope that you enjoy your time here.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

There is nothing on mine that is exactly broken, it's just nothing no matter what distance away will not fully focus and is always blurry I've tried different eye pieces and collimating the scope but nothing :( hope you enjoy it anyway :)

Why not pop along to your nearest astro society and have a chat with them - Perhaps take your scope and see what they say about it?

Thabks all, just got back home with the scope, its in great condition and seems to work fine :) only part missing was one of the rings that goes around the tube but it seems to be stable enough with just the one :) cant complain for the price i paid :)

Oh dear why would someone sell it without 2 rings that looks very unstable and will eventually bend or snap off.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-telescope-tube-rings.html these will do the job £22 just remove the old ring from the orange dovetail then fit these to the orange dovetail pop the tube in and off you go hope this helps

you might need another dovetail maybe someone can confirm this

Hi yes i have the slow mo controls the only bit missing is the tube ring, i did ask the guy if he still had the other one but he said he can only remember it having the one:/ hopefully i can get a replacement at a good price

Archived