Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some images using the SW Star Adventurer

Was out playing last with the SW Star Adeventurer EQ mount and my Canon 650D (moded).

The more I use this wee mount the more I like it.

Last night I was shooting 40-50 second shots either at 200mm or down to 18mm (Cygnus)

All I did was to polar align using a compass and an iclinometer to get altitude.

So below (unprocessed to give you a better idea) are two shots, Andromeda Galaxy at 200mm, ISO1600, 50 secs and Cygnus at 18mm, ISO1600, 40 secs.

post-29495-0-07713300-1444392243_thumb.j

post-29495-0-72264200-1444392262_thumb.j

Very nice Baggy. I got one just recently on a bit of a whim, but with the aim of doing some short focal length MW stuff, and possibly with the Tak 60. The results won't be pretty but should be fun.

It's a really lovely piece of kit full stop, never mind at the price for the bundle.

PS Please don't tell the Dob Mob, I will be strung up on a 20" Dob!! :)

Wondering why you didn't use the polar scope only takes a minute or so, if you fit the camera on the L dovetail and file the slot in it out you can fit the illuminator in it and monitor the PA while your imaging and refine it so Polaris tracks round the circle.

Dave

Wondering why you didn't use the polar scope only takes a minute or so, if you fit the camera on the L dovetail and file the slot in it out you can fit the illuminator in it and monitor the PA while your imaging and refine it so Polaris tracks round the circle.

Dave

I use the L bracket and make sure the polar scope has a clear view and if I need I use my lil red light to see the PA circle.

I agree that you have to be able to see the PA when camera is exposing or in between exposures.

In my case the PA goes out even if I refocus or even see images on the mounted camera.

The Polarscope illuminator is an engineers joke I don't like. Couldn't they just build it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your stars look like my stars! Eggy? :-)

Wondering why..

PA? Or something to do with DSLRs n/or SW StAdv ?

I think it's the dslr. Just read this on a forum: "If you take images with your setup at the moment you will notice 'egg shaped' stars at the edges and corners of image. These are seen because the imaging chip is a flat sensor, unlike the retina which is concave."

I use the L bracket and make sure the polar scope has a clear view and if I need I use my lil red light to see the PA circle.

You're obviously younger and more flexible than me, I have trouble just bending over to look up the polar scope  :grin:

Dave

I think it's the dslr. Just read this on a forum: "If you take images with your setup at the moment you will notice 'egg shaped' stars at the edges and corners of image. These are seen because the imaging chip is a flat sensor, unlike the retina which is concave."

Really? Coma error is because the sensor is flat n the sky is "spherical"?

I thought it was because of small errors in tracking are magnified due to optical distortion (being more in the edges)

Please explain if u know.

You're obviously younger and more flexible than me, I have trouble just bending over to look up the polar scope  :grin:

Dave

Just hold this against the polarscope no more bad backs http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagull-Finder-Minolta-Olympus-cameras/dp/B004CGE90U if you feel up to it an adapter can be made but its not realy required,

Alan

Really? Coma error is because the sensor is flat n the sky is "spherical"?

I thought it was because of small errors in tracking are magnified due to optical distortion (being more in the edges)

Please explain if u know.

No it's not coma, the writer was referring to the use of a refractor with dslr. Ie the need for a flattener. I don't know the technical reasons for it, would need to do a bit more googling :) I've just ordered a flattener for my fs60 for the same reason.

Just hold this against the polarscope no more bad backs http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagull-Finder-Minolta-Olympus-cameras/dp/B004CGE90U if you feel up to it an adapter can be made but its not realy required,

Alan

Yes, got one of those but really ought to make an effort to keep a bit flexible, mind after a couple of single malts I become more supple but have more trouble staying upright  :grin:

Dave

Yes, got one of those but really ought to make an effort to keep a bit flexible, mind after a couple of single malts I become more supple but have more trouble staying upright :grin:

Dave

Rofl..

4 beers or 3 large whiskey is the max load I can take!

Just when my SW SA had just come.

A friend of mine asked me "so where do you sit (on it)" n had quite a time explain to him that "I have to move along"

I guess he thought of me as Carl Sagan or Hubble in the 100" mt. Wilson obsy.

Archived