Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Autoguider for Astrotrac?

VilleM

Hello, I have Astrotrac TT320X-AG and Ive been thinking about autoguiding it (I have laptop, Windows 8). Also if the guide cam would work as a planetary imager that would be great. What guidecam would be good choise for beginner?

ASI120mm seems like a good choice (also on discount at TS), but I dont know is it compatible with my gear?

I have a dedicated Autoguider - the Skywatcher Synscan.  Whilst I've used it once so far, my experience has been very positive.  It's a Selfcontained unit that doesn't need anything external.  Sure there's a learning curve on it (as with all things) but I'm already convinced that it's a fantastic addition to my scope.

However, it can't be used for anything else.

That said, there is another way of doing it.  Basically, get yourself a good webcam (one with a CCD rather than a cmos, not sure what's the current favorite) and remove the lens. You should be able to get an adapter that will allow you to plug the camera in like a 1.25"  eyepiece. With that, you can use any image capturing software to capture images of the moon and planets.   And you can use software like PHD on your laptop to provide the Auto guiding functionality.

The key is getting a good Webcam.  When I went that route about 10 years ago, the webcam of choice was the Phillips TuCam Pro II.   You could simply unscrew the lens and replace it with a 1.25" inch barrel adapter.   I'm sure that there are more up to date cameras, but I think that route would be relatively cheap for a starter setup.

On the scope control side of things, there's also options.  Something like a Shoestring USB adapter, would allow you to connect into an ST-4 port.  There's also a possibility if your scope (I'm not familier with yours) of connecting to an RS-232 port or USB port on the scope and having the guide commands sent in that way.

Hello, I have Astrotrac TT320X-AG and Ive been thinking about autoguiding it (I have laptop, Windows 8). Also if the guide cam would work as a planetary imager that would be great. What guidecam would be good choise for beginner?

ASI120mm seems like a good choice (also on discount at TS), but I dont know is it compatible with my gear?

I'm not an imager, but I'm pretty sure the Astrotrac is just a very accurate unguided mount, I don't think it can be guided....

The AG version can be guided in RA only

OOps Peter beat me to it

It ain't a race :)

Getting back to the original question.. If it's a standalone autoguider your after it will need to be one that will allow you to only calibrate in a single axis - RA...

What sort of focal lengths are you planning to work with on the Astrotrac?

Peter...

I'm not an imager, but I'm pretty sure the Astrotrac is just a very accurate unguided mount, I don't think it can be guided....

The clue is in the TT320X-AG in the name :). I've not guided and can't say I would as I tend to use it with short focal length camera lenses and have never had a problem achieving 15-20 min subs without guiding. for me, it's about quick easy and portable. I save the guiding for the eq mount 

The clue is in the TT320X-AG in the name :). I've not guided and can't say I would as I tend to use it with short focal length camera lenses and have never had a problem achieving 15-20 min subs without guiding. for me, it's about quick easy and portable. I save the guiding for the eq mount

Oops, that's why I'm not an imager :)

In my defence I looked at the website and if it was there it's very well hidden!!

I know there is plenty of standalone guiders, however I am using laptop already and I would want the guider to work as a planetary imager aswell. Mostly I use my TS70mm (474mm on 'full frame' DSLR), but also SW 150/750. With good polar alignment Ive been able to reach 1min subs without trailing @ 750mm.

Back to the original question, would ASI120MM or 120MC be good choice? If someone uses one of them as a guide cam please share your thoughts. :)

Archived