SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newbie located in Scotland and France

Mazmillie

Hi all,

I was introduced to stargazing by a good friend who owns a telescope and kindly invited me and many others to share his experiences in the night sky. I was hooked immediately and decided to treat myself to my first telescope for my 50th Birthday. Meade ETX105AT purchased second hand in France. Unfortunately before returning to Scotland there were not many clear nights but I saw enough to be impressed. The moon was amazing as well as saturn and many stars.

My telescope resides in France and I had plans to possibly purchase one in Scotland. However there is far too much light pollution where I live so I might just get a pair of binoculars instead.

Thankfully I spend a lot of time in France so should have many opportunities to experience many wonderful skies.

I look forward to gaining experience and advice from SGF.

Hello

You don't have to drive far from Dundee to get nice dark skies and just a bit furhter north you get some of the best dark skies in Europe! Just have to wait for clear skies...

Welcome to SGL. I also live part time in the Midi Pyrenees (Lot) , just outside Cahors.. My main scope is there, but I have just bought a second hand Skywatcher Startravel 102 and mount for the UK.

Ah cool. I'm not far from Montrejeau. Skies are good in Scotland but unfortunately I would have to take the car and get to an unpolluted area for the best viewing but can,t see me doing that late at night or early morning. France however is a diferent story.

As a relative newcomer to this fascinating pastime I can say with hand on heart that by joining this forum you have made the best decision after buying your telescope.  I have found the advice, support and encouragement from members, whose accumulated experience is vast, to be immensely valuable.  It has also saved me a lot of money that might have been wasted without their advice.  Responses to queries are never condescending but always helpful, well-expressed and sometimes highly amusing.  Make the most of your membership.  Everyone here will help you whenever they can.

Peter

Archived