Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL XI Itinerary

daz

Friday 11th

• Curry and Quiz Night!
  • We'll be at the Café for Curry and an Astro Quiz (timing dependant on weather)
  • There will be spicy/non-spicy and vegetarian options
  • You can book your tickets when you book your pitch

Saturday 12th

12:00 - Astro Boot

17:30 - Hog Roast

This thread will get updated as things get arranged/organised

Friday 11th

• Curry and Quiz Night!
  • We'll be at the Café for Curry and an Astro Quiz (timing dependant on weather)
  • There will be spicy/non-spicy and vegetarian options
  • You can book your tickets when you book your pitch

Now then, Daz - your third bullet raises an important conundrum. Exactly how much of the overall curry allocation should be consigned to "non-spicy" and "vegetarian"?

I can picture riots of Biblical proportions if the assembled masses trudge down to the cafe on a wet Friday evening to be told "Sorry, the real curry has gone, but it's ok, we've still got loads of the non-spicy vegetables left!"

Perhaps an email to the members of the SGL curry club a few days before the event would help judge demand for the various options?

Also, to be really pedantic. when you say "spicy" and "non-spicy" can you elaborate?   I'm from the Bradford area, and there are loads of levels of spice.

Perhaps we need an SGL curry hotness scale?

Kuiper Belt

Main Sequence

Supernova

Feel free to suggest additions and amendments.

Note: References to Uranus in this context are banned by the Mods :wink:

Apparently 5% of the population are vegetarians, not sure if that helps as we need to know what % of astronomers are veggies.

According to Wiki Dr Frank Drake is still alive so he might be able to knock up a another "Drake" formula to help us out.

Frank - if you're reading this thread please help as the success of our curry night rests with you.

Apparently 5% of the population are vegetarians, not sure if that helps as we need to know what % of astronomers are veggies.

I am unreliably informed by Wikipedia that there are twice as many vegetarian women as there are vegetarian men.

From what I have seen at the astro gatherings I have attended and in the posts here on SGL I suspect that at least 90% of astronomers are men. So, if 5% is the average, 3.3333 in 100 men are vegetarian and 6.6666 in 100 women are vegetarian. If we have 200 people at SGL XI, 180 will be men, of which 3 to 4 will be vegetarian, and 20 women, 1 or 2 of which will be vegetarian. That gives a range of 4 to 6 vegetarians out of 200, so let's call it 2.5%.

The percentage of non-spicy curry eaters is more of a problem :rolleyes:

...and we probably have to factor in the eco-credentials of people with a tendency to like astronomy.

This is too complicated.

We need a vote!

Simples - make miles too much of everything and reheat the left overs.

So far we have:

Veggy - spicy

Veggy - non spicy

Meaty - spicy

Meaty - non spicy

What about nut allergy sufferers? low sodium diets? gluten free? weight watchers? Embracing diversity is the order of the day.

DRT, I like your way of thinking let me pick up the baton for the curry strength.

so, of 200 people, let's rule out 6 of them as veggies.  So that leaves 194 people of the meat eating variety.  Now, there are according to the menu of my favorite curry house the traditional dishes are listed as follows.

Korma, Dupiaza, Danask, Jalfrezi, Rogan Josh, Bhuna, Massala, Madras, Vindaloo

This gives a fairly good scale of 1-9.  So, assuming a standard bell curve distribution of curry eaters, the distribution will break down roughly as follows

Korma 11
Dupiaza 14
Danask 18
Jalfrezi 27
Rogan Josh 54
Bhuna 27
Massala 18
Madras 14
Vindaloo 11
However as the choice of curry is spicy or non spicy, this means that the we should estimate the people of Korma, Dupiaza as being non spicy. My thinking here is that people who eat Korma's don't like spicy food at all, and those ordering the Dupiaza are Korma ordering people who are being daring (good on 'em) so that means roughly 25 will opt for the non-spicy, and the remaining 169 will be wanting the spicy.  Especally as we're astronomers and if the weather is clear, we'll be wanting all the warm we can get, so spicy hot is hot, so will help to keep us warm on a cold clear night.
So, there's the prediction based on 200 people.
6 veggy
25 non spicy
169 spicy

What about nut allergy sufferers? low sodium diets? gluten free? weight watchers? Embracing diversity is the order of the day.

I'm guessing that people who suffer from these afflictions are unlikely to have bought a ticket for curry night?

So, there's the prediction based on 200 people.

6 veggy
25 non spicy
169 spicy

You have neglected one dimension - veggy spice-lovers :rolleyes:

Based on your non-veggy ratio I put that at 1 non--spicy veggy to 5 spicy veggies. 2:4 might be a safer bet and easier to manage in terms of portion control.

There is different solution:

1. A large pot of mild chicken curry.

2. A small pot of mild veggy curry.

3. A medium pot of hot curry sauce.

A homage to Woolworth's pick-n-mix :smile:

Archived