SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Explore Scientific Maxvision 24mm 82 degree

gooseholla

Recently I've been using an 18" F/4 telescope. The 26mm Panaview that I had just no longer cut it. Stars off axis were looking like blurry streaks and little seagulls. The FOV was also not enough. I therefore decided to purchase an eyepiece in the 24 - 30mm ranger. After looking around and realising that to meet my requirements I was going to have to pay some serious cash, I was happy when Telescope House sent a discount code last weekend. I decided on the Maxvision 24mm 82 degree. With the code it came to £108 posted.

The thing arrived Thursday 8th October and I received a shock when I opened the box. The box it came in was huge. Then I saw the eyepiece. I used to think a Nagler T5 20mm was large but this makes it look tiny.

12107130_409331532598379_770341233695582

I was a bit worried that being an F/4 this eyepiece wouldn't live up to expectations, but I was wrong! First let me start with some positives and negatives of the eyepiece itself before moving onto its performance. It won't be a comprehensive first light but will highlight some of the key things I noted while observing different objects.

Positives

I like the twist down design. Some may not but I find it really good for being able to get a precise position where I am comfortable. Another nice feature is that the eyepiece has a soft rubber around the lens. When you twist the eyepiece this forms a cup shape, making it nice and comfortable to view and acting like a rubber cup on other eyepieces.

The eyepiece also isn't round. It is hard to explain but if you look at the image above you'll see three points where it sticks out a bit. This makes handling such a large eyepiece a little bit easier. The rubber also provides a nice grip. Trust me, at 2am when my hands were freezing cold this was a nice feature to have.

Negatives

This is not a small eyepiece. You may have troubles balancing it with your scope setup. Fortunately I didn't. Being so large it is a bit troublesome to lift and install in the dark. Also, it isn't going to fit into any pockets that you own, so you're going to need somewhere to set it down when you're not using it.

Because of its weight, when viewing it is easy to push too far into the eyepiece with your face and with a Crayford focuser it moves sending it out of focus. Several times I found myself thinking cloud had rolled in.

Performance

The first thing I did was find some stars. Lots of them. The Double Cluster in Perseus. It framed both nicely. Stars were sharp in the middle and the edge. In fact, I had to turn my head to see where they weren't sharp. It was a definite improvement over a Panaview 26mm. No weirdly shaped or blurred stars anywhere. All were resolved well. This is where I first noticed that the edges of the eyepiece were a bit soft. Not much, maybe 10% or so in my telescope. You're probably going to have to move your eye to see it so it isn't a huge problem. But I was really happy with the performance in my F/4. I then put in a Nagler T5 20mm. There was no softness around the edge of the eyepiece. The contrast seemed better in the Nagler, with the sky being blacker - it was more greyish in the Maxvision. How much is down to the difference in magnification (91x vs 76x) I cannot say. Sharpness was about the same but I noticed that the cluster appeared brighter in the Nagler.

I also tried the region around the North American Nebula and was blown away by the amount of stars.

I then moved on to Andromeda. The galaxy filled the eyepiece. It was a lovely view. I could frame M31, M32 and M110 in the same field of view. The Nagler 20mm T5 didn't offer any more detail in my opinion, but again, a hint that the image was brighter and the background darker.

The streetlights go off here at 1am. I went back to visit some of the objects I had viewed earlier and noticed that some of the softness in the eyepiece had gone. Still a soft edge but not as bad. The Nagler T5 had no softness in light pollution or dark sky. By this time the Pleiades were up. The image was lovely. It didn't fit the whole lot in the FOV but it certainly provided a nice sharp image. Contrast was better by now. Stars were bright white points and the sky was definitely black.

I finished off with a quick view of the Orion Nebula at about 2:30am. It was low down but it was a really sharp image. The Nebula was a deep green colour and the shape was well defined. In fact, combined with a large telescope, I saw detail I had never seen before.

Conclusion

For the money you're probably not going to get better. A definite improvement over the likes of a Panaview. If you have never looked through a Televue you're going to be blown away by this eyepiece. If you have used a Televue, you'll notice that it isn't quite up to the performance. But when you consider the cost and that you're getting about 95% of the performance it is a bargain eyepiece. Not as bright or contrasty as a Nagler, in my opinion, but certainly a very excellent eyepiece. Really happy that it performed so well at F/4. Going to be hard to choose which eyepiece to use for viewing DSO now!

John

nice review...  I'm looking at getting the Televue 31mm Nagler Type 5, and I was wondering whether it might be overpriced and if something else can deliver the same quality, but your article did settle my dilemma about whether its worth it. 

It is always good to read a happy first light report. I use the ES (non Maxvision version) which I love. This may have different coatings to the MaxVision as I have no contrast issues at f4.7. But it is very nearly double the price........ Also, it is great that it performed at f4!

@MarsG76 - the ES 30mm 82° is a cracking eyepiece for a lot less than the Nagler. But, If you have the cash. Get the Nagler. At this end of the market, £££ = very small gain.

Paul

It is always good to read a happy first light report. I use the ES (non Maxvision version) which I love. This may have different coatings to the MaxVision as I have no contrast issues at f4.7. But it is very nearly double the price........ Also, it is great that it performed at f4!

@MarsG76 - the ES 30mm 82° is a cracking eyepiece for a lot less than the Nagler.

Paul

Yes I was very happy that at F/4 it performed so well without having to spend 2 - 3 x the money. I was looking at the ES 82 range, but really, for where I am and what I do, I couldn't justify the extra £100. Though I probably will get the ES 82 range for my focal lengths between 8 - 15mm. They seem remarkably well priced and performing eyepieces. Had my eye on them for a year or so now!

John

Hello.  Agree with all the above.  Got the 24 and 20 mm  (  Maxvision models ) and the 82 degree 11mm  Argon EP.

Currently hunting for a good 2nd hand 8.8 mm  version.

As said.  Can't really justify TV prices.  This range of EP's seem a damn good compromise for the money.

Clear skies.   John

I agree. I only have my Televue as someone offered it to me for £80! I wouldn't even have a TV if it wasn't for that. I just fear ES will slowly start jacking up their prices as they become more established and more positive reviews are posted!

Nope. I don't seem to find coma much of a problem in this scope. It is there but not really noticeable in my opinion. Others may find it unbearable!

I can see just a touch of coma right at the edge of my 100 degree eyepieces with my F/5.3 dob. I'd assumed that in an F/4 it would really noticable. Maybe not ?

I have viewed with an F/4 20" but that had a Sips coma corrector installed so I didn't bother looking for coma.

It's easier to see edge aberrations with a bright star (Vega, Capella e.g.). Center the bright star, focus, then let it drift to the edge, you'll see how coma look lke in 24mm MV or 20mm Nagler.

You can try 26mm Panaview too to see the combined coma and astigmatism with the same method. Warning: you may see a moon :grin:

Ok coma is there. More noticeable on brighter stars. Probably starts to become noticeable at 66 - 75% out. Not really bothered by it. Double cluster looks lovely and cannot notice it.

Eyepiece becoming my favorite for Andromeda. So nice to get all three in same view. As you look at one averted vision causes you to notice new bits about Andromeda. On careful reflection tonight it isnt that far behind the nagler in contrast or brightness but the nagler definitely edges it.

Archived