Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging and the meridian flip

Demonperformer

I'm looking at the possibility of imaging 86666 tonight, as it whizzes past HD203142, using the NEQ6 (a good first test of how well I can get it PA'd with Alignmaster). With my setup, if I centre on HD203142, it should be in my FOV from 2118 to 2238. However, HD203142 culminates at 2117 - and that is presumably when the mount will do a meridian flip.

So, my intention is to build up a multi-star alignment around Capricornus on CdC before we get there so that the system has a lot of information to keep me on-target, then target HD203142 and wait for the meridian flip to finish, then start the camera software.

My question is probably a bit vague, but will there be any nasty side-effects (e.g. not pointing at the same thing as it was before; messing up the computer's map of the sky that I had so carefully prepared beforehand; other) caused by the meridian flip of which I should be aware?

Thanks.

Archived