SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pistol Grip/Trigger Grip confusion

gnomus

I am trying to improve my binocular viewing experience.  The pages from 'Binocular Sky' have been extremely helpful but I am a little confused by the advice given on this page:  http://binocularsky.com/binoc_mount.php  Under the 'Monopods' section it is recommended that I buy a 'Trigger Grip'.  A specific product is suggested and an Amazon link is given - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003SQEAY0/1944   On the Amazon page the product is described as being an 'Adjustable Pistol Grip Head'.  Back on the Binocular Sky page, however, the very clear advice is "NB: Do not be tempted by the "pistol grip" heads — they may be OK for photography, but they are extremely awkward to use for astronomy!"

So I am not sure if this means that the product now offered by Amazon has changed to a different type of grip, or if it is a mis-labelling on the Amazon site.  I see also that Amazon offer this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Tripod-Pistol-Inches-Adjustable/dp/B00CF1LS94/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444380573&sr=1-1&keywords=amazon+pistol+grip+head  This looks very similar to the Ravelli offering (and a few quid cheaper), but I wouldn't want to buy this if it wasn't the right thing.

For the moment my binoculars are a pair of Leupold 10 x 50s.

Thanks in anticipation of your advice. 

Hi, the links you have are to the right thing.  Steve has also produced a manual for adjusting them on Binocular Sky and you can see exactly what he means by trigger grip

http://www.binocularsky.com/manuals/TG-manual.pdf

I guess by pistol grip he's talking about one like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanguard-Alta-CA-234AGH-Segments/dp/B00HUORNGS/ref=sr_1_47?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444381286&sr=1-47&keywords=tripod+pistol+grip+head

which would be a pain to use IMO.  I've got a monopod and trigger grip combo and it works well.  The only gotcha is to make sure you get a monopod with sufficient height.

I've been looking at the Manfrotto 222 Joystick ball head, but  there is a weight restriction in the top down force of  only 2.5Kgs. 

I have just ordered the 3 Legged Thing AirHed Mohawk Ball head which offers 160Kgs of down force,  not that any of my optics weigh that much, but nice to know that its secure enough for any task in hand. The Mohawk  will fit the X5a Tony Evolution 2 Magnesium Alloy Tripod System. This  tripod has a built in mono-pod, and although a little short for my needs, there is a hidden extension stowed in the tripod case, which  increases the height slightly, and to be honest, a trigger head joystick, with a few  extra inches of height,  would be more than  suitable, if not perfect,  for my  present needs. I'm still considering further purchasing another tripod, the Manfrotto 055 XPRO3.

I`ll be using the tripods mainly for my DSLR requirements with off-camera remote flash  head units, and binocular use as and when required.

I also think that the 222 has been replaced with a pistol grip variant,  although  I prefer the joystick.

I use the Manfrotto 222 Trigger Grip Head as mentioned by Charic. I purchased mine new, though no longer in production they do turn up second hand. I use this with a Giottos GTMM3290B Monopod providing ample height for when standing (though nothing beats sitting back in a camping chair). The Trigger grip can easily be tensioned and stably supports my Helios Apollo 15x70. 

He is :-) The nomenclature of these things seems to be variable; I think I need to add pictures...

which would be a pain to use IMO.  I've got a monopod and trigger grip combo and it works well.  The only gotcha is to make sure you get a monopod with sufficient height.

Also make sure you have one wiht adjustable leg clamps: they tend to get used a lot and hence loosesn. Cheap monopods like the 7-day shop one are high enough but soon work loose enough to "shrink" in use.

I use the Manfrotto 222 Trigger Grip Head (...) can easily be tensioned and stably supports my Helios Apollo 15x70. 

I use the same in preference to the Weifeng one, but both will handle the HA 15x70. The tension on the Weifeng one needs to be tightened much more often.

He is :-) The nomenclature of these things seems to be variable; I think I need to add pictures...

The joy of Amazon means that the Trigger grip arrived yesterday.  Now just need some decent weather.

The Leupold 10x50s that I use were a cheap-ish pair that I got for spotting wildlife.  Do you think these Pentax 10x50s that you reviewed recently would be a significant step up or should I be considering greater light gathering/magnification?

My Helios 8x40 WA  have  lovely clear sharp and bright views, and a decent 8.3° field of view, great for  tracking/following Birds,  wildlife and observing larger swathes of the night sky. 

Some prices here http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pli/329-978039/Binoculars/Helios-Naturesport-Plus-8x40-WA-Compare-Prices.

10x50s will have a narrower field of view, may get you closer, and  hand shake will be more noticeable.  

I`m still  undecided on the Manfrotto 222 trigger with the 055 Tripod. I've had a pan/tilt system for too long on an old HAMA tripod, and this worked very well  using binoculars. I also considering a new HD video camera, so still deciding on the most suitable head, to cover several needs and requirements.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived