Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What Telescope should i get for nebulas?

I'm looking to get a telescope for photographing nebulas but I'm not sure what is the best type of telescope and what one to get.

I want to spend around £1200 on the telescope and I'm going to be using a APS-C mirrorless camera (i would like to use full frame in the future) and I'm going to start off with a IDAS V4(UHC) 2" filter and as time goes on get some Hb, OII, Ha, SII narrow band filters.

For the tracker I was thinking of going with the Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT GEQ & Alt-Az Mount (open to suggestions).

I don't care how big or heavy it is as its going to stay in my back garden.

Should I get a refractor, reflector or catadioptric for photographing nebulas and what effect would the different telescope have on photographing nebulas?

Some telescope in my price point are Vixen NA 140 SS, Skywatcher Esprit 100 ED PRO and the Skywatcher 190MN which seems to have very good reviews.

If anyone could give some recommendations and advice it would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi,  sounds like you've got a good budget.  A few comments from a beginner..

if you're new to DSO astrophotography you might like to pick up a copy of this book:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

also, going narrowband is rather challenging as I understand it.  - and would also require a proper mono astro camera (e.g. Atik http://www.firstlightoptics.com/atik-cameras.html)

you'll also need a whole host of things (guide camera, laptop, power supply, heating bands, etc.) - that book will give you a heads up on it.

As for the type of scope, it shouldn't have an effect (if they're good quality) - much more important is the focal length and speed (f ratio), though some types of scope (like the refractor) require less tinkering with to perform well.

Archived