SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help me make up my mind?

First of all, hello guys. My name is Oda, and I am so happy to have found this forum. 

Choosing the right gear as a beginner, why is it so hard? Let me walk you through my thoughts; 

First I wanted a Skywatcher 150p Eq3, but I think this will be to much for me to drag around. 

Then I thought well, why don't just but a AstroTrac and maybe a Canon 300mm f/4 telephoto lens (I have a Mark 5Diii) - I have seen people do amazing things with just this. But, the lens is quite expensive, we are talking over 1700 usd for the lens and tracker, and this is if I buy the lens "used". And I know I would get a pretty nice telescop kit for this money - but it's just to big for me. I need to drive and walk for a while to get dark sky. The gear must be light in weight and not to hard to set up.

Maybe I can buy the Astrotracer and a light telescop instead of the camera lens (the telescopes are cheaper) and but my dslr on top?

What do you guys think? 

Sorry for all the silly questions and if this was a little hard to understand, my english is not so good so bear with me.

Your advice would be very mush appreciated :kiss:  

Astrotracs are pricey, there are some cheaper options from ioptron that will work well for light setups. Be sure to check that what you buy will work at your latitude though (some mounts are limited to 60 degrees).

A small frac may be a better investment than a telephoto lens if you are only using it for astro work. Aim for something with ED glass.

It will be slower than the telephoto lens but then depending on the lens you may need to stop it down to get a good image anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Astrotracs are pricey, there are some cheaper options from ioptron that will work well for light setups. Be sure to check that what you buy will work at your latitude though (some mounts are limited to 60 degrees).

A small frac may be a better investment than a telephoto lens if you are only using it for astro work. Aim for something with ED glass.

It will be slower than the telephoto lens but then depending on the lens you may need to stop it down to get a good image anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks allot for taking the time to answer.

Yes, the lens will only be used to astrophotography. I talked to a man who is selling telescopes, he did not know that much about AP but recommended me a startravel 102 to use with the dslr and AstroTrac.

It seems like a good choice. What do you think? I am a little afraid of the focal length and long exposures after what I have red. But maybe it will work. 

Archived