SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

hello

Blackadder1620

As it's 6:30 AM and I'm extremely tired this will be short. I wanted a telescope for close to 7 years now after my college astro class had a viewing session we all had to attend. not great seeing conditions but, the moon was good enough and, I was sold. skip to now and i was looking for one to spend my hard earned money on but, only have a about 300 usd to spend i was looking at some nice 4.5 and 5.1 inch telescopes, went to look local and found a 8 inch dob (orion) for 200 usd the rest is history or about 2 days ago. I don't know very much but, I have been researching as much as I can. thankful they are pretty simple but, why are eye pieces so crazy expensive?  anyways first night i don't even know if it works ( i wasn't sure if you could look through one in the say light so i just "scoped" :) it out quickly and bought it) i poke a hole in a piece of paper and kinda collimated it...somewhat. moon wasn't out so nothing to really look at to test it. tonight i mess with it with my brothers kids after some more fiddling and we look at stars but, nothing i can point out as it's cloudy. around 5 am i come out to see if i can see the moon because i read you can see Jupiter and Venus close by with your naked eye and i'm a moron because i didn't know that. I see a fairly bight dot below and left of the moon;which i though would be the highlight of the night but, only to behold a light tan crescent shaped dot named Venus. it was small even with my barrlow i only have a 25mm at the moment. still it's a stunning sight to see the planet. I should have a cheshire tool and a 8-21 zoom eyepiece in by Friday, i hope i can see Jupiter this month too.  

thanks for reading, blackadder

tl;dr

Owned 8 inch scope 2 days, first day nothing, 2nd night about 2 hours ago saw the moon and a planet within 15 mins. didn't think it would be so easy or great timing.       

Hi Blackadder and welcome to SGL, Astronomy has a long learning curve, sometimes it can be most frustrating, but you do need some guidance, if you are just starting out with little or no knowledge. The publication, Turn Left at Orion, is, in all probability, one of the best books you could obtain on the subject, to help you with your new telescope and observing. Enjoy the forum :)

Archived