Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A list of targets for my little Mak

adder001

Hi Folks,

I have made a list of targets that I think may be possible for my Orion Stamax 90mm Mak-Cass.

Having recently seen Andromeda Galaxy (And I Keep going to it now I have found it) I wish to see more.

This is a list of what I am thinking of:-

M57 Ring Nebula

M42 Orion Nebula

Albireo (2 different colour stars)

M1 Nebula

M51 Whirlpool Galaxy

M33 Triangulum

M81 and M82 Galaxys

What do you think? would these be good targets for my telescope?

Also if there any other good ones that you think may be good to look at through my telescope then any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

I would use the binocular sky monthly news letter free by email that I think will give you starting targets.

A Book that would again list targets each month showing what size scope they are good in, anything binocular I think you might find, Turn Left at Orion.

The best thing if you have not already got one is an eyepiece that gives you the widest field of view possible for your telescope to help with finding stuff.

Almach in Andromeda, if you like Albireo you will like this

Epsilon Lyra, the double double star

M13, globula clusters look good in maks

M15 in Pegasus

M1 will be achievable but only in dark skies

Same with M51 and 33 to a certain extent, you may pick out the core in lighter skies but its not easy

Hi Folks,

I have made a list of targets that I think may be possible for my Orion Stamax 90mm Mak-Cass.

Having recently seen Andromeda Galaxy (And I Keep going to it now I have found it) I wish to see more.

This is a list of what I am thinking of:-

M57 Ring Nebula

M42 Orion Nebula

Albireo (2 different colour stars)

M1 Nebula

M51 Whirlpool Galaxy

M33 Triangulum

M81 and M82 Galaxys

What do you think? would these be good targets for my telescope?

Also if there any other good ones that you think may be good to look at through my telescope then any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

As Philj said, you can find M1, M51 and M33 but you need a dark sky. I haven't spot M1 with my 60mm (although I didn't try hard.. hopefully I will this winter with my Nag 13 :) ), but I successfully saw M51 and M33. The sky was dark though. 

I would add: 

- the double cluster 

- M35, M36, M37, M38 (in the next few months)

- M27

- Moon (!!)

for now. If you can, buy a copy of Sky and Telescope pocket star atlas. It is very helpful.

With a telescope like yours I would go for bright objects of size about 0.5-1 degree predominantly. There are many open clusters which are accessible. 

You could go for some bright globular or galaxy too, but remember that they will look like just grey blobs. In my opinion they are still pretty particularly giving their context and the fact that they are distant. However for those targets you need aperture. 

Also planetary nebulae generally require high magnification which means aperture if you want to maintain a bright image.

Keep low expectations and high curiosity. It is still amazing to spot small or faint targets with a small aperture telescope! :)

The Moon. That has been amazing, I have spent many hours looking at that. In fact it was the first thing that I looked at. It is really fantastic what this little telescope can pick out, I am really impressed. When I first got the telescope I thought I would be mainly looking at planets, moon, sunspots but after viewing Andromeda I was surprised how good it was so I have broadened my list and just see what I can see.

So far the biggest problem is light solution, I really need to get somewhere really dark.

Cheers

Having said that I have just got some wonderful views of Jupiter even at almost daylight nice line up of Jupiter Venus Mars and the moon at the moment. Got up early to view but the clouds had the same idea but I managed to view in between breaks

Hi Folks

For anyone who is interested on what a 90mm mak can do

Update on my list

M57 Ring Nebula - found it quite easily, very small and grey in colour, however the ring was was quite obvious, the best way that I can describe it would be like a highly magnified out of focus star but obviously with all the other stars in focus in the surrounding area.

M42 Orion Nebula - Really good, had nice clear spell to view, very big in view. Could easily make out the shape and definition. Even tried different magnifications but as expected the 25 lens was the best for brightness and clarity but for size I used a 2 x Barlow with my 25 lens which was still very good

Albireo (2 different colour stars) - Easily found, just focused in at bottom of Cygnus. Can quite easily see the difference in colour

M33 Triangulum - Tried for ages but no joy, will try again

Anyway I will report on any new finds when I get them.

• 2 weeks later...

Albireo (2 different colour stars) - Easily found, just focused in at bottom of Cygnus. Can quite easily see the difference in colour

Double stars are great to hunt down with Maks, and some of the colour variation in star systems are really beautiful.

With my 5" Mak I'm currently spending a lot of time in and around Cassiopeia which is full of treats and also going through the Lunar 100. To look at the moon is always a joy but to really study it in this way is really bringing the geography to life for me. If you've not gone through it before, I would not hesitate in recommending this to you and your Mak.

Clear skies.

I tried M1 when I first started in february... Empty patch of sky. (Of course, I didn't know what i was doing (still don't) so it might have been the wrong area! :tongue:)

AFAIK, the M33 galaxy is especially challenging, but you should try scanning around M31 in your scope and try to spy the companions as well. I, personally, am going to try M78 in the coming months as well as C27 (with my OIII filter) and some nebula in he same patch as HIP98465 which for some reason doesn't have a name in stellarium...

As well as the dumbell nebula.

Good luck with your endeavours!

~pip

Archived