SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Evening all, it's been a while since I've been on here, I relocated from Wiltshire and now reside in Kent. To celebrate my move to the light polluted South East, I have upgrade my mount and camera :eek:

The Sky-Watcher ED80 DS-Pro is my wide field scope, which I had hoped to use with my recently aquired QSI683WSG, but as is well documented, the focuser is not just up to the job of  remaining in focus, due to the weight of the camera. I am now considering upgrading the focuser. I'd like to go for a motorised option and already have a Moonlite CR with hi-res stepper motor on my C8 NGT. Moonlite to a CFL 2.5" unit, with the synta flange, that will enable me to secure attach the QSI with the reducer.

The question is, is it worth spending, what will end up being more than the original stock scope, on a focuser upgrade?

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul. I'm in Kent, just, I have a QSI683 and WO Star 71, super wide field scope and no faffing around with flatteners / spacers only downside is it is not made for visual though you can buy a dedicated diagonal, super focuser, worth thinking about selling the ED80 and upgrading.

Dave

Just inside the M25? Me too! Although I do have use of a field in Eynsford, once I have my set up running trouble free.

I did consider a different scope, the TS Imaging Star 71 - 71mm f/4.9 Imaging APO, which I think may be very similar to the WO, but I do like the ED80 and prefer the FOV. The 71/347mm is too wide a field for me and I can achieve a similar FOV with the Atik314L+ and my Canon 200mm lens.

I'm only ten minutes from Eynsford, I got the Star 71 to get as much FOV on the QSI683 as poss'.

Also got a Moonlight focuser on Lunt LS60, nice bit of kit , the new Baader steel /diamond track looks worth considering.

Dave

I'm about 20 mins from Eynsford, I'm in Dartford.

I'll be getting the QSI Canon lens adaptor eventually, for wide field shots.

I'll take a look at that steeltrack and diamond track. Might see if the helpful guys at FLO can do me a deal on an ED80 with steel/diamond track, with the motoriser option ;-) Although, having just looked at it, Not suitable for new-style Baader SteelTrack Diamond focusers.

Paul

Archived