Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

October 7, 2015: Very quiet sun in H-alpha

Just managed a peek before the clouds rushed in. The disk is very quiet, with an AR right on the north-western limb providing some associated filaprom action. A few thin filaments are scattered across the disk, and a couple of smaller ARs (some bright knots of plage, but no visible sunspots) can be seen mainly in the south-eastern quadrant of the disk. One more interesting feature is a fairly bright, large prom on the eastern limb. Something may be lurking round the corner.

Thanks, Michael. Don't feel quite so bad about not having any solar kit with me, now. Would have been bad if the Sun was busy - but it's typical Scottish Highlands weather where I am now and I haven't seen anything in the sky, day or night, for five days. My scope and associated gear have been nothing but unnecessary ballast! Fingers crossed for the weekend when I'll be home and with all my kit.

However, on our rain-sodden walks these past few days I have found a cottage which may be put up for rentals soon and, if ever clear, the skies could not be bettered in the UK. Planning and plotting will commence ...

Archived