SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AZ EQ6 extension tube

spaceman_spiff

Hi there,

I am thinking of upgrading my mount to the AZ EQ6 but I use a long tube refractor, so I would also need an extension tube to point at the zenith. Does the EQ6 extension tube fit the AZ EQ6?

I apologise if this has been mentioned before.

Thanks!  :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley:

Wow...that is a beautiful set up BigSumorian :Envy: . Good to know that the EQ5 pillar will also work, maybe I should stick to that.

Thanks! :smiley::smiley:

Do you intend to use the mount in EQ mode or AltAz? The only issue you may have is the North Pin. You have to remove it from the EQ6 tripod and reverse the base of the pillar so you have two flat surfaces which bolt together. I can't quite remember what happens at the top! In AltAz mode it's no issue, and even for EQ visual it should not be a problem

Do you intend to use the mount in EQ mode or AltAz? The only issue you may have is the North Pin. You have to remove it from the EQ6 tripod and reverse the base of the pillar so you have two flat surfaces which bolt together. I can't quite remember what happens at the top! In AltAz mode it's no issue, and even for EQ visual it should not be a problem

I remember what I did now! I have the 8" EQ6 pillar as well and used the top plate off that. It fits the EQ5 16" pillar perfectly and sorts the north pin issue out

I remember what I did now! I have the 8" EQ6 pillar as well and used the top plate off that. It fits the EQ5 16" pillar perfectly and sorts the north pin issue out

Cool, yesterday I actually took the plunge and bought the AZ EQ6 mount with the 8" pillar - I couldn't stand agonising over it any more. I'll have a play around with the two pillars and see what fits.

Many thanks :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley:  

Cool, yesterday I actually took the plunge and bought the AZ EQ6 mount with the 8" pillar - I couldn't stand agonising over it any more. I'll have a play around with the two pillars and see what fits.

Many thanks :smiley::smiley::smiley:

I think that's a good decision. Between the two pillars you have the parts to get either of them installed properly. The tubes are the same diameter so the end plates are interchangeable.

Have fun :)

Archived